Loneliness

Hi im an autistic 19 year old, I just started back at university after a summer of having no one to talk to and I was determined to make friends this year but so far have had no luck. I try everything i smile at everyone i see, be nice, go out with everybody etc. I just can't maintain an interesting conversation, i can do the general stuff like "how are you liking uni?", "nice weather" etc. I even go over topics with my mum beforehand but that still doesn't help. Does anyone have any ideas to help me chat/banter with other people? 

Parents
  • Start your own society.  

If you drink, then try starting a homebrew society (generally quite a popular club in most universities).  Even in halls it should be relatively simple to get a couple of bottles of wine brewing or a small barrel of beer.

Maybe a movie society.  Everyone meets up weekly and watches a movie.

how about the Anti Loneliness Society for students who dont know anyone but want to.

The possibilities are endless. If you can think of something, you can probably do it.  If you need help forming it, contact the NUS at your local union or their head office if needs be, for advice.

• Start your own society.  

If you drink, then try starting a homebrew society (generally quite a popular club in most universities).  Even in halls it should be relatively simple to get a couple of bottles of wine brewing or a small barrel of beer.

Maybe a movie society.  Everyone meets up weekly and watches a movie.

how about the Anti Loneliness Society for students who dont know anyone but want to.

The possibilities are endless. If you can think of something, you can probably do it.  If you need help forming it, contact the NUS at your local union or their head office if needs be, for advice.

Children
No Data