It all makes sense.....

Although I am not officially diagnosed Aspergers although I'm 99.9% confident I am and still awaiting my first assesment I cannot help but think my love for Mathematics and Computers and playing chess could be related possibly to being an Aspie.

I have always found Maths interesting and although never an expert on it would consider myself good at it. Last Semptember I enrolled on a Maths GCSE course at my local college it lasted about 9 months I skipped a few weeks and end of year revision classes but still managed to pass and found out only 22% of adults aged 17+ actually passed the maths GCSE this year so I was really proud when I got my results a few weeks ago. 

I also enrolled on an computer course level 1 and passed this too all with working full time and living with a wife and kids. It was hard and stressful mind as I couldn't find my much needed time out but the enjoyment of working my brain made it worth while. I don't know if any of you are the same but I love working things out or fixing things or playing games console to keep my mind ticking feels great.

Anyway I also love chess I was in chess club at school and even beat a chess player whilst on holiday who kept bragging he was the "chess master". I find it hard playing chess on a games console for some reason and alot easier on the actual board game maybe because I'm up close and get a better view.

Anyway my point of this short story is I'm thinking maybe why I excel at things I enjoy could be related to being an Aspie and it would make sense.

Do any others on here enjoy Mathematics, Computers and Chess?

Parents Reply
  • Yeah, is it possible this is what the tech was really meant for, not cat pictures?

I'm getting used to the fact that my attitude to technology is getting anachronistic.  It fascinates me how I know so much more about the inner workings of the machines than most people I know, and have been familiar with them for so much longer, still code in several up-to-date languages, build my own PCs etc, yet lag way behind in why I use them, where I use them, and how I use them.

Something that has astonished me most about the rise of "social media" and smartphones is how readily people of my own generation and older have taken to them; people who grew up in a time where few homes had a computer, and to even want one for your own pleasure really marked you out from other people; a weird mix of awe and suspicion.

Yet I'm the one with no desire to have a computer on my person at all times, unlike so many folks who were sure that they'd never want to touch one at all. I have a £10 brick of a phone, and didn't have a mobile at all until around a year ago. I like being able to communicate with people using text, but have no interest in Facebook etc. Playing with a computer was always a refuge from human concerns for me, and writing is a way to communicate without being rushed. The rating system, counters, and rolling updates even put me off using this forum for while when they were introduced.

As long as I live, I'll never get touch-screens to do what I actually mean them to; the lack of tactile feedback just doesn't work for me at all (my bass-playing callouses probably don't help!) I even still delete text very often by laboriously backspacing when my fingers forget that mice exist.

I enjoy tinkering with computers as much as I ever did, but I still find it strange when people expect me to have adopted every new technology just because it's computer related. I have never bought the highest-spec PCs, never had more than one desktop and one laptop, and I usually get 8-12 years out of each one without ever fretting about upgrading - eeking out every drop from a clunky machine is all part of the fun. My phone is just a phone, and my cameras are just cameras. I'm an old fogey, really, using modern technology with just the same motivations as I had when I was a teenager; my Mum's a more typical computer user than me.

Oh, and since this post has unintentionally turned into a geek confessional, there's something unforgivable that I should come clean about...

When I was seven, I was taken to the pictures to see Star Wars. That is the only time I have ever watched a Star Wars film all the way through!  

(I have nothing against Star Wars particularly, but many self-confessed geeks seem to find my super-power for being apathetic about movies featuring robots and space-ships almost miraculous (or diabolical), which amuses me for some warped reason; it's so like the reaction I used to get when I bored people to death about my ZX Spectrum all those years ago. I always preferred my sci-fi with a tad more "sci-".)

Maybe I'm of a particular category of geek that needs it's own name (it is partly why I spell my username with 'luddite'.)

Children