Childrens television programmes of the past

Being born in the fifties, and having my formative years in the sixties and seventies, I believe some of the best television programmes were those made for children. I am a great fan of programmes made for children, and even now think there is some quality work there.But some of the programmes of rhe past excelled in real quality.

For starting this thread I will include one or two of my favourites from the sixties to the eighties.

I will come back to this later with others, I think my avatar would indicate one of my favourites so that goes without saying, for the moment.

The Owl service, a programme made in the late sixties, a mystery about a tea service and the remote.locarion it was set in.

Follyfoot, with its theme tune about a farm for retired horses, the characer of Dora every lad in my year fell in love with

Children of the Stones, a very creepy tale set in Avebury, with similarities to the Wicker Man

The Witches and the Grinnygog, a tale of a gargoyle with a seemingly strange power.

Worzel Gummidge, with Jon Pertwee and Una Stubbs at their best.

Others to come, but opening up to reminiscences from other people.

Parents
  • born 1965 and the tv shows i watched

Barnaby The Bear , champion the wonder horse , Casey Jones , Noggin the Nog , Finger Mouse , Pipkins , bagpuss, Worzel Gummidge

The Flumps , Playaway, The Record Breakers , the secret Garden , HR Puffanstuff , Banana Splits , Here Come The Double Deckers

Renta Ghost, Chorlton and the wheelies , Crystal Tipps and Alistair , Just William  , Screen Test ,  Help it's The Hair Bear Bunch ,

Metal Mickey , A.L.F ,  Hong Kong Phooey ,  Roobarb And Custard and on and on i could go i spent more time sat infront of the tv than

playing out as i never really got on with other kids

• Hi I'm another 1965er! Like you I watched a LOT of telly as I was shunned by the kids in my road until I was 10 or 11.

Casey Jones was a very early memory for me. It used to be on Sat mornings on BBC1 if I remember correctly and then afterwards go to the test card which used to scare the living crap out of me especially when they used the audio test tone too! Ironically a few years later I got into electronics and radio/TV technology and eventually became a TV Video repairmen and spent much of my time in front of test cards!

• yes you are right sat mornings it was champion the wonder horse then casey jones then cartoons etc till sat westling and sports sunday from 8am you had kids tv and bbc2 the munsters and addams family i have every episode of both those on my pc including the 2 films they did of the munsters ah happy days i always loved xmas and the holidays as you would always get more films cartoons and kids stuff on the tv

• yes you are right sat mornings it was champion the wonder horse then casey jones then cartoons etc till sat westling and sports sunday from 8am you had kids tv and bbc2 the munsters and addams family i have every episode of both those on my pc including the 2 films they did of the munsters ah happy days i always loved xmas and the holidays as you would always get more films cartoons and kids stuff on the tv

Children
No Data