Childrens television programmes of the past

Being born in the fifties, and having my formative years in the sixties and seventies, I believe some of the best television programmes were those made for children. I am a great fan of programmes made for children, and even now think there is some quality work there.But some of the programmes of rhe past excelled in real quality.

For starting this thread I will include one or two of my favourites from the sixties to the eighties.

I will come back to this later with others, I think my avatar would indicate one of my favourites so that goes without saying, for the moment.

The Owl service, a programme made in the late sixties, a mystery about a tea service and the remote.locarion it was set in.

Follyfoot, with its theme tune about a farm for retired horses, the characer of Dora every lad in my year fell in love with

Children of the Stones, a very creepy tale set in Avebury, with similarities to the Wicker Man

The Witches and the Grinnygog, a tale of a gargoyle with a seemingly strange power.

Worzel Gummidge, with Jon Pertwee and Una Stubbs at their best.

Others to come, but opening up to reminiscences from other people.

Parents
  • Greetings again. Some more for myself, here now. - I recall watching weird stuff in my own "Yoof": The Moomins, Gideon, Moschops, Will'O The Wisp, The Clangers, The Magic Roundabout. I also videotaped 'Alfred J Kwack', which was a European idea, Japanese Animated, but explored many "adult" themes: Politics, Racism, Death, War... they would never allow such themes nowadays...(!)
    From CosgroveHall came - Jamie And The Magic Torch, Alias The Jester, Count Duckula, and the already mentioned Dangermouse.
    Seen as Violent/Racist/Inappropriate nowadays, would be all of the MetroGoldwynMayer stuff, and the Warner Brothers stuff, and the DePatieFreleng stuff.
    I also have a lot of complete Soundtracks to shows and Cartoons stuck in my head and it is completely irritating, yet it can also pass the time when stuck waiting as if upon a Bus or a Train...(!)
    But both cartoon Train Engines - Ivor and Thomas The Tank, were pretty boring...

For Live Action, I Also watched 'John Craven's Newsround', Animal Magic, PlaySchool, How?, Tony Hart/Hart Beat... and for some reason to this day I recall being scared very much by "Grange Hill", and the 'Mascot' Used by the programme "Vision On" (a signature which was supposed to be a Frog)...!

• ...This is the "Vision On" Logo, which always 'struck fear into me' as a small child...!! (& even now as I just re-checked it!) ...Then, imagine this thing moving, fully animated, and super-imposed interacting with real pictures, real people and real backgrounds? For me, it was scarier than Monsters or Daleks or Dinosaurs! (Maybe re-posting it here is a kind of Phobia-Therapy...?)

(Taken from: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision_On)

• ...This is the "Vision On" Logo, which always 'struck fear into me' as a small child...!! (& even now as I just re-checked it!) ...Then, imagine this thing moving, fully animated, and super-imposed interacting with real pictures, real people and real backgrounds? For me, it was scarier than Monsters or Daleks or Dinosaurs! (Maybe re-posting it here is a kind of Phobia-Therapy...?)

(Taken from: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision_On)

Children
No Data