Unable to edit

I can post new threads and comments, but for some reason I'm now unable to edit any of my threads and comments. When I click the appropriate 'More' button, the 'edit' selection is no longer showing.  Anyone else having a problem?

Parents
  • Posting to see if I can then edit it...

EDIT: I can! Looks like it might be just you Former Member 

• No, there's a 30-minute cut off for editing, newly instituted by @WebPM as an unsuccessful attempt to discourage Copybot. See their comment: https://community.autism.org.uk/f/miscellaneous-and-chat/12621/copybot-and-forum-security/76460#76460

There's a note above about a thread where the offender apparently waited for some replies to make the thread look genuine, and then went back and added the link spam.On the basis of that, I have just limited editing to 30 minutes after the post was made. Apologies if this inconveniences anyone, but it should enable you to correct anything should you rethink, or spot a typo, after posting, whilst making it harder to change the whole nature of a message after people have already started to reply to it.

I asked if 30 minutes was the maximum. It seems it could be set a lot longer. I didn't suggest an editing time limit as a countermeasure, partly because it is a bit inconvenient, but mostly because Copybot could just change tactics. If this needs to be tested for a matter of months to see if Copybot will take NAS off the list of spammable sites, maybe the value could be set to a week (10080 minutes) or a month, which is the lifetime of most conversations, and shorter than the period Copybot waits to edit, which is 2-3 months.

Do we want to request lifting the editing ban?

• 30 minutes does seem too short a time but as I have not posted recently I cannot be sure the time needs increasing (or the ban needs lifting).

What I will say is that I like being able to edit posts even after replies have been posted. I use such functionality to correct mistakes such as incorrect spelling and missing words. I cannot knowingly leave such mistakes as they gnaw at me.

• 30 minutes does seem too short a time but as I have not posted recently I cannot be sure the time needs increasing (or the ban needs lifting).

What I will say is that I like being able to edit posts even after replies have been posted. I use such functionality to correct mistakes such as incorrect spelling and missing words. I cannot knowingly leave such mistakes as they gnaw at me.

Children
No Data