Who is here?

Just for a bit of fun, I thought I would do a poll on the demographic of individuals who use this forum and then we can see what our online community looks like and argue over the diversity of it (okay, so that last bit might be a joke!). 

Please note: within this poll I have used the term ‘ASD’. I did so because this is what people are usually formally diagnosed with and because it would fit into the poll. If I could have used all alternative terms that people identify with then I would have but unfortunately there just isn’t room within the poll options. To avoid offence however, please substitute ‘ASD’ for whichever term you most identify with in your head and if you want to clarify which term this is, then please do so below.

Parents
  • Voted. I’m diagnosed autistic and could be diagnosed with ADHD and PDA as well but I reckon I’m far more than any of those things and the autism diagnosis was all that I needed to help me to begin to start making sense of me and my world and to start moving forward with creating a life based around me rather than me fitting into the world. I’m the only person in my family that has a diagnosis but my mum is undiagnosed and I can see it in two of my nieces although  they won’t hear of it. 

I identify as autistic, I tell everyone and their dog that I’m autistic which sounds like it defines me but it doesn’t, but it does guide me towards a more rewarding life.

• I’m glad your diagnosis was something positive for you BlueRay. I find that a lot of people feel this way with a late diagnosis.

Reply Children
  • Thank you NAS36609, my diagnosis literally saved my life. I had very calmly decided I was going to end my life but the night before, I gave life one last chance and begged the aliens (because I thought I was one) to give me a sign that I wasn't alone on the earth and the next day, it popped into my head, (completely out of the blue, I had NEVER thought this) that I was autistic and  in  that moment, my life changed and now I know what happiness is, so I'm not surprised that I tell every person that I meet that I'm autistic!