Creative but

Hi

I often have many creative ideas, however I find it difficult to put things down on paper.  I would love to write a book, but can’t.  

Does anyone else have this?

in a perfect world what I imagine in my mind could be downloaded into YouTube. 

Matthew

Parents
  • Hi Matthew - I fully understand your position.  I have ideas all the time which I want to see realised in some way, and it is a constant source of frustration to me when my attempts to realise them fall short.

However, all I would say is... you have to persevere.  Write your ideas down, or draw pictures of them - no matter how primitive or inadequate your depictions may seem.  You can write a book.  It is your head that is telling you you can't.  I know this because for years I told myself that I couldn't do it.  And then, a few years ago, I committed myself to participating in the annual National Novel-Writing Month competition.  I decided on the night before the starting date: 1st November.  I didn't know what I was going to write about.  All I knew was that I had to have 50,000 words down by the end of November.  In the end, I managed 75,000 words!  What I did was... I suspended my inner critic - the one that kept telling me that every word I wrote was rubbish.  I didn't stop to edit, either.  I just wrote, every day, the words that came into my head.

That's what you need to do.  You can write a book.  Just set to it, without hope of success or fear of failure.  And it will happen.  Please believe me.

• Hi Matthew - I fully understand your position.  I have ideas all the time which I want to see realised in some way, and it is a constant source of frustration to me when my attempts to realise them fall short.

However, all I would say is... you have to persevere.  Write your ideas down, or draw pictures of them - no matter how primitive or inadequate your depictions may seem.  You can write a book.  It is your head that is telling you you can't.  I know this because for years I told myself that I couldn't do it.  And then, a few years ago, I committed myself to participating in the annual National Novel-Writing Month competition.  I decided on the night before the starting date: 1st November.  I didn't know what I was going to write about.  All I knew was that I had to have 50,000 words down by the end of November.  In the end, I managed 75,000 words!  What I did was... I suspended my inner critic - the one that kept telling me that every word I wrote was rubbish.  I didn't stop to edit, either.  I just wrote, every day, the words that came into my head.

That's what you need to do.  You can write a book.  Just set to it, without hope of success or fear of failure.  And it will happen.  Please believe me.

Children
No Data