A sense of entitlement

Why do so many people have a sense of entitlement?

I was discussing this with a friend at the weekend and we couldn't really get to the bottom of it, other than perhaps it's just been a slow erosion of society and work ethic.

They don't work, but are entitled to (net) taxpayers money, so they can have things that taxpayers can't afford, to live in areas that those taxpayers can't afford, to have holidays, to not work a job they don't want to, to be entitled to an easy and well paid job. That they have "rights" that must be treated as gospel, but not any responsibilities that are tied to those rights. That rules are just for "someone else", a whole attitude that everyone else owes them a living etc. 

What is the flawed mental process where people decide that they are entitled to things just because they want them? How can anyone even attempt to justify that "want" means "entitled"?

Parents
  • The pampered society maybe that we now live in, perhaps? With free nhs health care, dentists, sickness benefits, social security benefits etc. I would say the attitudes that you are referring to started when the government started to spoon feed people. 

• The pampered society maybe that we now live in, perhaps? With free nhs health care, dentists, sickness benefits, social security benefits etc. I would say the attitudes that you are referring to started when the government started to spoon feed people. 

Children
  • Gosh, somehow I'm a bit shocked. Are you being cynical or do you really mean that? I'm just asking because I believe to remember that you were also telling people how much entitled they are to receive help, so somehow that doesn't add up because most could probably not afford to pay for it privately, but maybe I confuse it with someone else. Living in Norway now I have certainly not got the impression so far that people here are lazier or something compared to UK or the US. 

• Balls.  You claim benefits.  You're obviously pampered on them.  Give them up for people who need them - and go get a bloody job!  People like you make me sick.  You moan about the pampered society.  And meanwhile, you live off the taxes I pay. 

• It is not pampering if the money for the NHS comes out of taxes as it should. It is a sane way of catering for basic needs.

This isn't the palaeolithic age. The knowledge and technology could be used to make everyone's lives better. The Scandinavians gave managed it - and gone aalo g way to making the whole dreary stunting cycle of poverty a thing of the past. Why can't other countries? 

Personally I would not equate basic needs with pampering or for that matter, spoon-feeding. 

And actually the NHS cane into being not through any kind of altruism. It was because the UK had no army. Why was there no army? Because most men were then we're too sick to be part of it. 

Of course we could always go back to the social darwinist model of the US. Stuck in a  no-hope job? Got appendicitis? No money?

Then you die. Too bad. 

That kind or argument could be made against anyone deemed to not be among the fittest of this lovely world. 

• Debatable. Public services are one thing but claiming large amounts of benefits over a prolonged period is another thing. The benefits are the grievance of the OP.

The NHS has become a national religion although large amounts of resources are spent on all sorts of undesirable things like people who have totally left their health to rot. Part of the problem is the NHS emphasis on cure rather than prevention. This may have been a good strategy in the 1940s but it no longer is today.

With education it created a faction of society (which still exists today) that refuses to take responsibility for their children's education or pay money for educational resources because they believe that the state should provide it all. There was a big fiasco at my mother's secondary school over safety glasses for chemistry lessons.

I have thought that a better solution to cutting benefits it to require people unemployed for more than a few months to home educate their children.