Being treated like a child

Hello I feel really angry about being treated like a child when I am now almost 20 years of age in April like not being listened to or understood like an adult, a lot of things like some jobs, renting or buying certain cars or other vehicles, cervical screening for women, young drivers no longer being allowed to drive at night time and also children's services being up to 25 when this is getting so stupid as I have read in the past about an article when a lot of people have said before that 25 would never be the new 18 in which I have always found true as we are all adults before we are 25 years of age. I feel like I need to talk to someone or a lot more people a lot about this as I want their opinion about this and what they think and I am hoping a lot of them would agree with me on it and also say that adolescence does not really end at age 25 like they keep saying online or anywhere else.

Parents
  • I understand how you feel, I’m 20 and still get treated like a young teen. I still get lessons on things I don’t need lessons on anymore (e.g. dealing with periods). I am at a special needs college that goes up to 25 and I don’t feel like an adult because I struggle with processing and sometimes teachers aren’t very understanding about it. 

• Have you tried talking to the college tutors and telling them that there are some things you no longer feel you need lessons on? (Or write it down if you think the conversation would be a difficult one?)

When I went into hospital to have my third child, in my 30's, a young nurse about ten years younger than me arrived the next morning to give me a lesson on how to bathe a newborn. As soon as I realised that's what she was doing, I explained to her that I had two children already and had no need to be taught baby bathing.

She apologised and stopped immediately, leaving me to get on with it on my own but she did explain that it was hospital policy to give all new Mum's this lesson - she didn't know that I was already a Mum and that this was my third child. Sometimes people just need to be given more information and I'm sure that if your tutors knew there were things you didn't need help with, they would stop giving you these lessons.    

• I could but it will probably be a similar answer. 

Reply Children
  • Probably isn't definitely though! It's worth a try? What's the worst than can happen? If they take no notice, you will still be in exactly the same position you are now but you won't have LOST anything? You'll never know if you don't try!   : )