Snow!

We so rarely get it in my corner of south-east England.  This morning, we've a real blizzard!  I can't go to work because the day centre's shut with the weather.

So... I've been out and taken some photos...

• I know what you mean, it throws everything out. I can’t believe they don’t pay you when they close the place. I was thinking about the homeless people tonight on my little walk, as well.  There’s usually a guy sat outside one of our local shops who I get warm food and hot drinks for when I see him and I was thinking of him tonight. He wasn’t sat in his usual spot so I’m thinking he’s got somewhere warm to sleep tonight. 

• I love the photos of the closed shops. This is my kind of weather. I’d much rather go out in the cold, rain and snow than sunshine and there’s less people around when it’s cold and even more so it seems when it snows. I’m hoping it keeps coming thick and fast and more and more shops etc close down, trains stop running etc. The world feels more peaceful with less action. 

• You're too kind, BlueRay.  Thank you.  But no, don't worry.  I have a little savings, so I can cover it.  It's just that you get used to a regular monthly income.  But then, when it drops by a quarter, it throws you out.

• Looks like a nice place, where you live.

• 11pm sitting at home watching Battlestar Galactica DVDS.  And a bit of nighttime photography from my window.

Incredible how light the world is at night with lying snow.

Tomorrow it's a visit to debt advice charity.  Wonder if they will cancel due to the weather.

• Oh no, you don’t get paid!!! That’s crazy. Do you need some money? My son just gave me some, I could give you some of that, I could transfer it to your account. It won’t be as much as you usually get paid but it could help. 

• Well... I've now been informed from work that the Centre will be closed until Monday at the earliest.  That'll mean a week with no money.  This is not good news.

• WoW what a great picture. They look well cosey and snuggly and  warm. I’ve just come back from my walk in the snow. It was lovely. I felt like I was on a film set. Only a few cars on the road and not many people around. It’s so peaceful and bright. I love it. 

• This pair seem cosy enough, anyway...

• Good luck out there Robert, and thanks for the picture, tells a story without needing words, hope there are a few shops open for you.

()

I have yet to venture out but it is very sunny, chillyvwind though, bbbrrrr,

• No exiting photos.  Only makes sense in the context.

Local shops closed due to a couple of inches of snow.

I'm going out again.  Now that universal credit has been paid into my account.  Need supplies in case weather gets worse.

• I hope you didn’t get to far before the phone call Robert.

I don’t suppose you took any pictures?

more important things to think about I imagine.

seems there is quite a bit of trouble along the south east coast!

still no snow happening here,

Oh and the reason I am here at this time is my wife has been seriously unwell, had to go to hospital Friday and was only allowed out on Monday. Getting better but work comes second to her.

Money will be short next week but I may have to book this week off as holiday,at least then I will get some money, shame it means less holiday when the sun is shining and we can get out more.

Looks like I am off out to pay some bills! That will be interesting as she does that as a rule.

wish me luck.

()

• I set of.  And got a phone call.  My appointments have been cancelled.  People are not coming in due to the 'snow'..... Even some of the small local shops are shut.

• It snowed heavily here in the night, but the sun's out now and there's a bit of thaw going on.  It's forecast to be heavy again tomorrow and Friday, though.

So, that's the second day that work is closed.  The second day without pay.  The way it's looking, I won't be going back this week.  That'll mean £200 light in my pay packet next month.  That's not so good.  I may have to apply to the council for temporary help with my rent.

I think about the people who struggle with this weather - the elderly and infirm.  And those on the streets.  A local charity has got up an emergency scheme for the homeless - volunteers going out to find people, transport them to a church hall, etc.  I may go along later and see if I can help out.

• same reply to you OrinocoFlo be careful as under the snow will be ice from last night. The temperatures fell a great deal all over the uk.

Seems we are missing most of it here in Oxfordshire.

()

• As there aren’t many on here as yet I just wanted to say, be careful Robert123, I hope you don’t have far to go, If you get chance a few pictures would be nice, you take good clear pictures with plenty to look at in the fore ground.

oh and wrap up nice and warm.

oh dear,,,,as I was typing your new reply popped up!

maybe hold off a short while before venturing out?

we keep getting little flurries but very little has settled and what there is has turned to very icy frosted snow. Treacherous conditions for sure.

take care.

()

• There is about 6 inches of snow here, and still falling fast. I will have to walk to work later and am looking forwards to it. It would be fun if the old folks at the care home could be allowed out into it (well wrapped up), but they're keeping the door to the garden locked for safety reasons. Disappointed I bet some of them would like a snowball fight, but maybe that's just me projecting.

• Snow so heavy that it's become darker and street lights have come back on!!!!

• Snow very heavy this morning.  And I have two appointments.  

FirstI have to deliver several forms to a care agency regarding my job application.  They want ID and proof of address such as passport, driving license, birth certificate, passport sized photo, full health declaration, DBS form to complete.

Then I have appointment with employment agency.

Snow getting worse.