Snow!

We so rarely get it in my corner of south-east England.  This morning, we've a real blizzard!  I can't go to work because the day centre's shut with the weather.

So... I've been out and taken some photos...

Parents
  • 2 March and snow and ice still on the ground.  It is unusual.  But I have suffered more in past winters.

In Jan 1984 I was working temporarily in Lowestoft on the East Anglian coast and the snow was very heavy along the east coast.  Even on the beach and 10 miles inland there were snowdrifts feet deep.  I tried to get a national express coach home to Yorkshire and was told it was cancelled because  there it was even worse.  And the M1 was blocked for two days between Leeds and Sheffield.

In sept 1986 to Jan 1987 I was living in a shared student house in Sheffield near the Hillsborough football ground.  For two weeks around Christmas/new year the house was unoccupied because we all went home.  I arrived back in January 87 in the middle of a very cold winter and found that the whole house was frozen (no central heating) .  All the water taps were frozen solid.  Except the cold water tap in the kitchen getting water from the mains. Even the toilet was frozen.  Bowl and cistern.  So I couldn't flush the loo.  I suspect the pipes were frozen too.  I was expecting them to flood when they unfroze.

So I moved out!

• Lol, smart move Robert, I would have done the same thing! 

• I did the responsible thing  I informed the landlord and left.

• It sounds like you landed on your feet, so to speak, or on your bum or back, meaning you found a place to sleep pretty quickly and easily. Nice work Ok hand tone3 I still commend you on letting the landlord know, that was very diligent and kind of you as well as thoughtful. I’m afraid I sometimes fall short in being thoughtful. I don’t mind, I’m long since past wishing I was better at the things I’m not too good at. I know that if I do need to improve on something, I can work on it but somethings I just let go. Nobodies perfect and I don’t try to be anymore. 

• The full situation was that it was a four bedroom terraced house.  I was renting one room and a group of three student girls rented the rest of the house.  The landlord lived on the same street about 10 houses away.  When I decided to leave I put a note into my rent book explaining the frozen situation and posted it through his letter box.

Then i moved in with a friend who was living in a town south of Barnsley called Worsborough Bridge.  He was working in Barnsley itself.  His girlfriend was working in Sheffield. So I got a lift into Sheffield every morning.

• Now that’s where I lack in responsibility, I’m not sure if I would have informed anybody. I think I would have just left. You are a very conscientious person Mr Robert. 

Reply Children
  • It sounds like you landed on your feet, so to speak, or on your bum or back, meaning you found a place to sleep pretty quickly and easily. Nice work Ok hand tone3 I still commend you on letting the landlord know, that was very diligent and kind of you as well as thoughtful. I’m afraid I sometimes fall short in being thoughtful. I don’t mind, I’m long since past wishing I was better at the things I’m not too good at. I know that if I do need to improve on something, I can work on it but somethings I just let go. Nobodies perfect and I don’t try to be anymore. 

• The full situation was that it was a four bedroom terraced house.  I was renting one room and a group of three student girls rented the rest of the house.  The landlord lived on the same street about 10 houses away.  When I decided to leave I put a note into my rent book explaining the frozen situation and posted it through his letter box.

Then i moved in with a friend who was living in a town south of Barnsley called Worsborough Bridge.  He was working in Barnsley itself.  His girlfriend was working in Sheffield. So I got a lift into Sheffield every morning.