Snow!

We so rarely get it in my corner of south-east England.  This morning, we've a real blizzard!  I can't go to work because the day centre's shut with the weather.

So... I've been out and taken some photos...

Parents
  • Meanwhile, I'm in touch with people in Europe who've had over 3 metres of snow - and society is still functioning.  My friend out on the Canadian prairies, who's in her 80s and disabled, puts up with over 6 months of it - digging herself out, driving to town, carrying on as normal.

Trouble is, it's so unpredictable here.  We don't get it for years... then we get a load dumped on us.  The councils don't hedge their bets that way.  So they're unprepared.

• I know, it seems bonkers we get stuck over nothing. I wanted to be in work today, but the last time I traveled in snow (we had only 3 inches that time) it took me over 2 1/2 hours for a 45 minute journey, which meant that by the time I got to work it was nearly time to go home! I can and will be doing some work from home though.

As you say, it’s just too unpredictable for us to be really equipped for it here - I checked AA traffic updates at 7am this morning to find that the motorway is down to one lane, there had been a ridiculous number of accidents and there were delays everywhere - bonkers!

Good on the societies who are better equipped for this white stuff!

• I know, it seems bonkers we get stuck over nothing. I wanted to be in work today, but the last time I traveled in snow (we had only 3 inches that time) it took me over 2 1/2 hours for a 45 minute journey, which meant that by the time I got to work it was nearly time to go home! I can and will be doing some work from home though.

As you say, it’s just too unpredictable for us to be really equipped for it here - I checked AA traffic updates at 7am this morning to find that the motorway is down to one lane, there had been a ridiculous number of accidents and there were delays everywhere - bonkers!

Good on the societies who are better equipped for this white stuff!

Children
No Data