Doing only what you love

A few years ago, I said to my mentor, that I loved doing whatever I was doing. He said, that’s interesting, I only do what I love. 

I had no idea what he was talking about at the time but I felt that he had said something profound, so I allowed this thought to sink in and once I realised what it meant, I also made the decision to do only what I love. 

It was one of the best decisions I ever made because now, I do only what I love. 

How many other people only do what they love and what is their reason for not doing what they love, if that’s the case.

It has created an interesting and exciting journey for me because prior to this, I didn’t really know what I loved doing, I’m still exploring that and it’s been fascinating to see how I’ve lived many years without a clue about what I loved doing. Now I love exploring and finding out what I love to do. 

Parents
  • Well, I don't only do what I love.  For instance, I don't love driving to work during the rush hour - though I love driving home again!  I don't love having to interact with people a lot, such as at work - but I enjoy being with other autistic people at the day centre.  All the same, if I didn't have to do it - if I didn't have to work - I wouldn't.  I'd stay at home, as I am today, doing what I do love: sitting in the warm, looking out at the snow falling, knowing I don't have to go out there.... and writing.  Writing has been my sanctuary and my obsession since I first discovered stories at around age 10.  I love looking at that blank page, then the thrill of reaching for the keys when something sparks off in my head: a line, an image, a situation.  I love the process - hard though it is - of putting it down, connecting the bits together, creating something new.

I also love messing with Gimp - the free image editing software, similar to PhotoShop.  I love creating memes, or pictures - especially collages.  I have no artistic abilities, really - I can't draw or paint - but Gimp gives me the tools I need to make the picture I'm imagining.

So - for today, at least - I'm doing what I love.  If I could make money from it and do it full-time, then I'd truly only be doing what I love.

Meantime... bills have to be paid, so the job has to be held onto.  I know it could always be worse, though...

• I love this Tom, this is perfect. You’ve got the passion, you know exactly what you want, now all you have to do is decide that you’re going to have it and I promise you, unless you vere away from your goal, you will have it. 

Have you heard of fiverr.com? You could easily sell your meme’s etc, your services on there. Basically, you can get any online service on there, for 5 dollars. Then as you build up a reputation and you get good feed back, you can start charging more money. Basically you work your ass off in the beginning, you provide more value than they pay, you give as good as you can, and before you know it, you’ll be bringing in a lot more money. There are several options like this but this is certainly a good one. I’ve bought services from there and I’ve never been disappointed. 

Build a picture board with a copy of your book on it and letters from people thanking you for your book, telling you how much it helped them to understand their own situation etc. You can do this Tom. You’ve got that passion and that gift for a reason. You were put in this earth to give your gift to the world, not make do with less than living your dream. 

Work out, how much money you would have to be bringing in before you could comfortably, without worry, leave your job. Have the figures wrote down and look at them often. Have three figures. One that you could live on relatively comfortably. One that you could just about live on. And one that would mean financial freedom to you. Then the extra figure is what you would need to be earning, and for how long, before you would take the next step of leaving your job. 

Put all your energy and focus on this. Not on ‘how’ to do it, but the end result. See yourself getting up in a morning, feeding daisy, feeding yourself, sitting down at your computer to write or design. What would your day look like? Then narrow it down to one scene that suggests, without doubt, that you have achieved financial freedom while doing what you love. Get that scene clear in your mind and every night, go to sleep as if it were true. Every morning, wake up and before you get out of bed, give thanks and gratitude for this wonderful life you have created. Live from that state. Don’t allow thoughts of ‘I have to go to work’ interfere with this. Your job is the ultimate bonus. You get to hang out with other autistics all day (that would be my dream, I now only, on the whole, communicate with other autistic people). Let it be your means to an end. Be thoroughly grateful for it, enjoy every minute of it while you’re there, because you don’t know which one will be your last, meaning, any day you could be earning enough money from online services or your writing, that you will be ready to leave your job. 

When the passion is strong and you are crystal clear on what you want, and you live from that state and enjoy and give thanks, for every minute of your life, the  universe can work quick. You don’t have to know ‘how’ it’s going to happen. Like you don’t have to know everything there is about aerodynamics to board a flight. You just have to know where you’re going and just show up, do whatever you need to do, and this dream will come into your reality. 

If you don’t believe me, try it anyway. What have you got to lose? 

• I love this Tom, this is perfect. You’ve got the passion, you know exactly what you want, now all you have to do is decide that you’re going to have it and I promise you, unless you vere away from your goal, you will have it. 

Have you heard of fiverr.com? You could easily sell your meme’s etc, your services on there. Basically, you can get any online service on there, for 5 dollars. Then as you build up a reputation and you get good feed back, you can start charging more money. Basically you work your ass off in the beginning, you provide more value than they pay, you give as good as you can, and before you know it, you’ll be bringing in a lot more money. There are several options like this but this is certainly a good one. I’ve bought services from there and I’ve never been disappointed. 

Build a picture board with a copy of your book on it and letters from people thanking you for your book, telling you how much it helped them to understand their own situation etc. You can do this Tom. You’ve got that passion and that gift for a reason. You were put in this earth to give your gift to the world, not make do with less than living your dream. 

Work out, how much money you would have to be bringing in before you could comfortably, without worry, leave your job. Have the figures wrote down and look at them often. Have three figures. One that you could live on relatively comfortably. One that you could just about live on. And one that would mean financial freedom to you. Then the extra figure is what you would need to be earning, and for how long, before you would take the next step of leaving your job. 

Put all your energy and focus on this. Not on ‘how’ to do it, but the end result. See yourself getting up in a morning, feeding daisy, feeding yourself, sitting down at your computer to write or design. What would your day look like? Then narrow it down to one scene that suggests, without doubt, that you have achieved financial freedom while doing what you love. Get that scene clear in your mind and every night, go to sleep as if it were true. Every morning, wake up and before you get out of bed, give thanks and gratitude for this wonderful life you have created. Live from that state. Don’t allow thoughts of ‘I have to go to work’ interfere with this. Your job is the ultimate bonus. You get to hang out with other autistics all day (that would be my dream, I now only, on the whole, communicate with other autistic people). Let it be your means to an end. Be thoroughly grateful for it, enjoy every minute of it while you’re there, because you don’t know which one will be your last, meaning, any day you could be earning enough money from online services or your writing, that you will be ready to leave your job. 

When the passion is strong and you are crystal clear on what you want, and you live from that state and enjoy and give thanks, for every minute of your life, the  universe can work quick. You don’t have to know ‘how’ it’s going to happen. Like you don’t have to know everything there is about aerodynamics to board a flight. You just have to know where you’re going and just show up, do whatever you need to do, and this dream will come into your reality. 

If you don’t believe me, try it anyway. What have you got to lose? 

Children
No Data