Doing only what you love

A few years ago, I said to my mentor, that I loved doing whatever I was doing. He said, that’s interesting, I only do what I love. 

I had no idea what he was talking about at the time but I felt that he had said something profound, so I allowed this thought to sink in and once I realised what it meant, I also made the decision to do only what I love. 

It was one of the best decisions I ever made because now, I do only what I love. 

How many other people only do what they love and what is their reason for not doing what they love, if that’s the case.

It has created an interesting and exciting journey for me because prior to this, I didn’t really know what I loved doing, I’m still exploring that and it’s been fascinating to see how I’ve lived many years without a clue about what I loved doing. Now I love exploring and finding out what I love to do. 

Parents
  • I like the idea of doing only what I love, but in real life you just often have to find what happiness you can in between the difficult bits, and sometimes in spite of them, when you can. For example, have a fairly monotonous job, in the laundry at a care home, but it pays the bills. And there is some satisfaction to be had, because I like to see everything left clean and neat, even if I know the baskets will be piled high with smelly laundry again the following day.

I have a family who sometimes drive me crazy, but who I love unconditionally. Sometimes I have to push myself to do things I don't like, but they have expanded my world.

You have to take the good with the bad, because that is how it is for everyone. By all means try to make your life better if you can, but sometimes you just have to work with what you have.

• Good point Flo .... I have often thought that if life were to be sunshine and roses all of the time, would we even appreciate it? Or do the difficult bits help us to see how wonderful the good bits can be?

Reply Children
  • Really?!? Maybe you’re not a sunshine and roses kind of person then because I love roses and I’m pretty confident that I would love them even if we didn’t have wars and murder etc in the world. And yeah, I can see your point about sunshine, I would much rather be out in the freezing cold of the Antarctic or something rather than in the glare of a red hot sun but the sun is the sun, I doubt we would be alive without it so I’m pretty happy we have it continuously. We live in a world of contrasts, we can’t have one without the other, so if we are ‘good’ we are also equally ‘bad’ because everything, apart from love, has its equal and opposite. Like two sides on the same coin. You can’t say there is more of the queens head side than the other, both sides are the same. What’s this seeming obsession with ‘difficult’ being aquainted with bad and unhappiness?