The most difficult and troublesome school subjects for students with ASD

Has the NAS carried out any research into what the most difficult and troublesome subjects are in secondary schools for students with ASD, and why?

Parents
  • I struggled with many things at school. PE was very hard with such poor coordination, and i was useless at anything hands-on like DT for much the same reason. But i think the worst thing for me was Drama. Anything where some sort of pretence was required was a disaster, and i am no better at that as an adult.

• I struggled with many things at school. PE was very hard with such poor coordination, and i was useless at anything hands-on like DT for much the same reason. But i think the worst thing for me was Drama. Anything where some sort of pretence was required was a disaster, and i am no better at that as an adult.

Children
  • Two of most horrific memories from 'PE' were being told to "Beeeeee the tree, feeeeeel the tree" at which point I think I fully embraced that being 'normal' (like everyone else in the class) was NOT for me!! And, as a teenager, being forced to take part in weekly dance classes to "perform our own interpretation" of 'Radio Ga-Ga'. The only thing I took from that was finally identifying with the quote "What fresh hell is this?"