Daily experience of an autistic

My Universal Credit, work coach referred me  to learndirect for a week long customer care course.

Yesterday I had my interview.

A lot of form filling, name, address, phone no. Email, national insurance, next of kin phone, etc etc etc.

Q...  What is my ideal job?

What job I would refuse to do?

Any disabilities ???????

Around 10 Q about my style of learning. Multiple choice with 3 choices.

Formal face to face interview.

A Maths test. 

Place four numbers in order from lowest to highest?  

Someone spends £10 a week on travel.  How much will he spend on travel in four weeks?  Show all workings.

Etc

An English test.

Circle wrongly spelt words.

Add Capitals and full stops to a sentence.

Identify a verb in a sentence.  They even explained that a verb is an action or doing word.   

Week long course starts on Monday 29th Jan.

Parents
  • Egads. Not much changed in the UK since the heady joys of Restart then. Glad I got out.

• Not much changed in the UK since the heady joys of Restart then.

No, apart from things have got worse.

The thing that is wrong with the Governments schemes is that it is all based on Joe Jobseeker to get work.  What Joe needs more than anything is help to get a job.  And when Joe (or Jane) Jobseeker is autistic, he really needs help, help and more help.

When I was out of work for over twenty years however much I looked for work I had to go through many, many reasons why I wouldn't get the job in my mind. Continual rejection did that for me.   And when I did apply (I ought to have been in the Guiness book o records for the jobs I applied for and failed at the interview) I had great difficulty with completing the form, and then at the interview.  I invariably failed the process.

I needed help.  And that should have been by someone acting for me in gaining the interest of an employer knowing my difficuties.  I was not diagnosed at the time, but then Autism wasn't recognised in any way..  I was just seen as someone who couldn't get a job.

And I think perhaps although 'help' at a jobcentre for disabled people is supposedly available, including for those who are autistic, autism isn't really understood.  They see it as malingering and laziness. 

There still isn't understanding at all.

• Sorry to hear that Trainspotter. Is there no.way you can find someone to advocate for you? 

Reply Children
No Data