‘God loves us’ so says the bus

I seen something on the bus today that resonated with me. It said god loves you very much. I would like to think there is some kinda god out there what do you wonderful people think? I like the idea of a god that loves us all. It sounds nice. Even if it’s all baloney I’d rather believe in it for my mental healths sake more than anything. Trajectory is up from here. We’ve gotta make the most of human life here on earth. I hope y’all have a happy night and or day wherever you are. I’m just chilling right now. Thought I would kick back before I hit the hay for a couple hours. Live on my own so get bored at times. Would like a girlfriend one day but I oughta just enjoy my single time in life before I get hooked up with a girl and everything like that. It’s cold where I am. Can’t afford heating. Luckily I have this blanket here to keep me warm. What are you peeps up to? 

Parents
  • I always used to be quite firmly atheist in my views but more recently I realised that was quite ignorant, so now I'm more agnostic/secular.

The idea of there being a protector that loves us does seem appealing but I'm not sure either way personally. Probably due to autistic thinking and a lifetime of disappointment when I've believed in anything, I'm very much of the "show me proof" before I believe anything camp.

I won't go boring you guys by going into too much detail even though my autistic brain wants to! But in a nutshell, I realised that whatever this life is, whatever the universe is, the fact that we are inside it governed by it's laws means we'll never know. If science disproved god, you have to think "hang on, if god created the universe then god created that science" so how could it prove or disprove anything god didn't want us to?

I relate to it like being in one of those worm hotel things at school, the worms will never be able to comprehend that someone made that world and is watching them....

So in theory it's really upto what you feel and want to believe and if that gives you comfort then that makes it real.

• If science disproved god, you have to think "hang on, if god created the universe then god created that science" so how could it prove or disprove anything god didn't want us to?

That is a very convenient definition of the god - it designed the universe so it cannot be disproved - but by that same token, it cannot be proven to exist either.

Believe what you will, but this approach used by most western religions is a very lazy approach and makes me think it is all made up.

• Yeah that's very true Iain, It's definitely a slightly lazy theory , very hard to disprove too.

If you look at Hawking's theories on the creation of the universe, they suggest that if space time is infinitely curved on itself, it might not have had a defined begining (or end)  in the sense of a singularity so may not have room to have been created and even if it did have, it became very set in stone at that point, meaning it's creator might have little or no control or influence beyond that point, hence just sits back and watches...

I'm always curious as to how many religions seem to have the same basic components and also observe certain "events" , suggesting they're based on something real, or, they need to contain these components to be a solid system, so by there very nature might all look the same (eg. All fish are different but they all have fins, gills and swim in water, so they're categorised as fish)

Fascinating debate. I'd love to know the answer to all these things. I'm not sure if it's being autistic that drives me to want to know but have a need for solid proof before I believe in things, or just maybe I'm that type of person regardless?! 

Either way I think it's amazing that people find comfort in their beliefs, having a strong connection and trust is something I envy.

• Yeah that's very true Iain, It's definitely a slightly lazy theory , very hard to disprove too.

If you look at Hawking's theories on the creation of the universe, they suggest that if space time is infinitely curved on itself, it might not have had a defined begining (or end)  in the sense of a singularity so may not have room to have been created and even if it did have, it became very set in stone at that point, meaning it's creator might have little or no control or influence beyond that point, hence just sits back and watches...

I'm always curious as to how many religions seem to have the same basic components and also observe certain "events" , suggesting they're based on something real, or, they need to contain these components to be a solid system, so by there very nature might all look the same (eg. All fish are different but they all have fins, gills and swim in water, so they're categorised as fish)

Fascinating debate. I'd love to know the answer to all these things. I'm not sure if it's being autistic that drives me to want to know but have a need for solid proof before I believe in things, or just maybe I'm that type of person regardless?! 

Either way I think it's amazing that people find comfort in their beliefs, having a strong connection and trust is something I envy.

Children
No Data