Oyez, oyez! Calling all "high functioners"!

...Autism is a spectrum and everyone is different. What characterises a diagnosis of autism is if it has an impact on ones daily life. I am classed as "high functioning" but currently do not know what this means.

Overload as a result from doing less than what someone who is not autistic can do. This means currently bare minimum of activity because intolerance and sensory input cannot be regulated. 
Working hours are reduced because of the struggle to cope with full time even though preference is to work more. The load is primarily from executive function difficulties which also include the social aspect and sensory. Fatigue on a daily basis which impacts everything.

So, when people make throwaway comments like "we're all a bit autistic" or "I think my dog is a bit autistic" (yes, I was present), or labels like "high functioning", or someone gets imposter syndrome thinking they are "not autistic enough", just remember - the difficulties faced - on a daily basis - which many people do not face.

I'm not saying no-one else has problems, but they are of a different kind.

Parents
  • If one is diagnosed as a child then it's pretty obvious that support needs are going to change as you grow up and change throughout life, that's no excuse for not offering appropriate support though, saying that support needs change throughout life so you can't have supposrt at all is cruel as well as incredibly stupid. So what autism is complicated get real, lifes complicated, how can we all, NT's included be told to ask for help when we're struggling, especially emotionally only to be told that your needs are to complicated?

I bumped into some charity collectors from mecap on saturday, they think they will be able to get me a post diagnostic assessment or reassessed, I don't know if they're right or not, but the official autism support people have refered me on and I've not heard anything back yet. I'm sort of expecting to be treated like a stray parcel again.

• If one is diagnosed as a child then it's pretty obvious that support needs are going to change as you grow up and change throughout life, that's no excuse for not offering appropriate support though, saying that support needs change throughout life so you can't have supposrt at all is cruel as well as incredibly stupid. So what autism is complicated get real, lifes complicated, how can we all, NT's included be told to ask for help when we're struggling, especially emotionally only to be told that your needs are to complicated?

I bumped into some charity collectors from mecap on saturday, they think they will be able to get me a post diagnostic assessment or reassessed, I don't know if they're right or not, but the official autism support people have refered me on and I've not heard anything back yet. I'm sort of expecting to be treated like a stray parcel again.

Children
  • What sort of help are you needing?

This is in no way directed at you but I want to say - I came to the conclusion due to my own experience, with the exception of the help of one or two people, that we have to find our own way through life. I can't help feeling we live in an age where help is expected, and responsibility is taken away from the individual. Life is ultimately about survival. Having said that, we live in a society where safety nets ARE supposedly in place. Some people are able to access these, some are not.