Oyez, oyez! Calling all "high functioners"!

...Autism is a spectrum and everyone is different. What characterises a diagnosis of autism is if it has an impact on ones daily life. I am classed as "high functioning" but currently do not know what this means.

Overload as a result from doing less than what someone who is not autistic can do. This means currently bare minimum of activity because intolerance and sensory input cannot be regulated. 
Working hours are reduced because of the struggle to cope with full time even though preference is to work more. The load is primarily from executive function difficulties which also include the social aspect and sensory. Fatigue on a daily basis which impacts everything.

So, when people make throwaway comments like "we're all a bit autistic" or "I think my dog is a bit autistic" (yes, I was present), or labels like "high functioning", or someone gets imposter syndrome thinking they are "not autistic enough", just remember - the difficulties faced - on a daily basis - which many people do not face.

I'm not saying no-one else has problems, but they are of a different kind.

Parents
  • I like the modern way of just specifying the support level. Autism is just too complicated to have a single line representing function. You can have an IQ of 190 and may be able to navigate life, but then you can still not know your emotions, be floored by some stimulus, or have been so mistreated in the past that you now have other secondary mental health conditions. So, for me, support level is a good way. (Though people can describe themselves in any way they like, as far as I am concerned. I don't think policing terms is right.)

• , No, I didn't get one either. I asked and they said it was because support levels change thoughout your life. So, I don't know why I bought support levels up Joy

Reply Children
No Data