Oyez, oyez! Calling all "high functioners"!

...Autism is a spectrum and everyone is different. What characterises a diagnosis of autism is if it has an impact on ones daily life. I am classed as "high functioning" but currently do not know what this means.

Overload as a result from doing less than what someone who is not autistic can do. This means currently bare minimum of activity because intolerance and sensory input cannot be regulated. 
Working hours are reduced because of the struggle to cope with full time even though preference is to work more. The load is primarily from executive function difficulties which also include the social aspect and sensory. Fatigue on a daily basis which impacts everything.

So, when people make throwaway comments like "we're all a bit autistic" or "I think my dog is a bit autistic" (yes, I was present), or labels like "high functioning", or someone gets imposter syndrome thinking they are "not autistic enough", just remember - the difficulties faced - on a daily basis - which many people do not face.

I'm not saying no-one else has problems, but they are of a different kind.

Parents
  • I've contacted the support group in North Wales about getting a post diagnosis assessment, they don't seem to know what I'm talking about though, does anyone know how to get one?

Everything seems to have changed so much since I was diagnosed 12 years ago, either that or was particularly poorly served, which wouldn't surprise me. I was told I had coped for 50 years so I didn't need any help of support, I wasn't even told what if anything was available.

• I'm lucky to live in an area with a charity that provides one. I've hot actually had it yet, but my 6 week course starts in September. I guess it is luck of the postcodes

Reply Children
  • Oh yes, except they don't really operate in North Wales, because North Wales has to have it's own organisations. So I have to have the bunch of lackwits up here.

• Jeez - that's depressing. Two women in my kitchen would be that last thing I wanted.

I guess you have already looked at

autismwales.org/.../

• What bugs me is nobody will tell me what I can get help with or if they can help me to get the help I may need. It seems like if you can jump through all the hoops required to get to speak to someone who might be able to help, then you obviously don't need help or you wouldn't of got that far. It seems I've got know exactly what I want and they can't tell me what services they offer, it all feels like going into a fine dining restaurant and asking for a bowl of cornflakes because you don't know that other food exists in your world only in the world of others.

I've been refered on now after two email, so here starts the merry-go-round. Last time I jumped through all the hoops to get help with digital stuff, after about a month and many many phone calls, I ended up with two women sat in my kitchen with a lap top who showed me two basic smart phones that I could buy in either tesco or argos and that was it!!! To say I was fed up was an understatement.