Uncertainty isn't my friend

Ideally I like to know that x will be done by y date. That however isn't always an answer that can be given. That is the case with the family history research I've paid to be done. One lot of research began on April 12, and the other on June 12. I find myself checking my emails obsessively in the hope the reports will be there. It's very frustrating and stress inducing.

Parents
  • I find myself checking my emails obsessively in the hope the reports will be there.

Have you spoken to the person doing the research and insisted on a deadline? This is about the only way you can get them to deliver in a way that works for you I suspect.

Tell them you have a presentation to do and need the results in, say, 4 weeks at the latest. They have had ample time to do the work so this shoud be easy for them to do.

• I've emailed him several times trying to get some indication as to how things are progressing. It's fallen on deaf ears and a very stubborn mind. He has his way of doing things and he won't change tack. On hindsight I shouldn't have paid a sizeable lump sum of money upfront. He has no financial reason to pay heed to a deadline.

• He may just be a luddite who shuns electronic communication except when he has to - an old fashioned phone call and stern talking to may have better results if he is this way.

If not, then can you pay him a visit? If you have an imposing friend of family member to bring with you then this tends to focus their attention.

• He may just be a luddite who shuns electronic communication except when he has to - an old fashioned phone call and stern talking to may have better results if he is this way.

If not, then can you pay him a visit? If you have an imposing friend of family member to bring with you then this tends to focus their attention.

Children
  • Thanks for your suggestion. My daughter would have to take me as I don't drive. Where he lives is about  85 miles distance from where  I live. So 170 miles or so round trip. My daughter is a very helpful and wonderful person, but I would not expect her to do that- on the slim chance that he changes his mind.