Tinnitus or electricity? Or both?

I have tinnitus since my childhood since I ever remember, but I was sure my whole life that it’s normal and everyone has it. It’s regular high pitch constant sound, quiet but often overwhelming. Additionally there is a low frequency irregular hum (does not follow my heartbeat). When I cover my ears, the hum disappears while the high pitch noise remains in my head. I hear the hum only indoors and only in silence like in the night. Recently I found out about tinnitus and heard a video with simulations of different types of it, I found the one that I have. So I’m concerned now, if what I hear (the hum) is electricity? Several years ago I had a hearing test and it showed I heard from 5Hz and the doctor mentioned something that it’s not normal, something about Hyperacusis and that I should go test myself etc I don’t remember exactly I was just happy that I hear good. I was concerned about my hearing because there were and of course still are situations that I don’t react when being called. When reading a book or anything else that swallows my attention. I also often ask “what?” When someone talks to me, but not because I don’t hear it’s because I can’t catch it all at once I need them to repeat so I can process it. My “Linux “ works slower. I’m wondering if I’m going crazy. Any thoughts or experiences will be appreciated. 

Parents
  • Mains hum is quite common. If present it will be at 50Hz (UK) or 60Hz in some other counties, well within even normal hearing range. If the low pitched noise you’re hearing disappears when you cover or block your ears then it’s external and probably being emitted by a piece of equipment locally. This could be hard to locate since it could even be inside a wall cavity. With a bit of patience you should be able to track it down. It’s possible that it’s external to your property, such as a noisy transformer in a substation or cabinet close to where you live. If you can find the source you might be able to do something about it. 

The high pitched tinnitus is, alas, yours and yours to keep. Many people have it to some degree, as do I, and there’s not much you can do about it other than to try not to focus on it. Easier said than done for us autists. You’re not going mad. 

• Mains hum is quite common. If present it will be at 50Hz (UK) or 60Hz in some other counties, well within even normal hearing range. If the low pitched noise you’re hearing disappears when you cover or block your ears then it’s external and probably being emitted by a piece of equipment locally. This could be hard to locate since it could even be inside a wall cavity. With a bit of patience you should be able to track it down. It’s possible that it’s external to your property, such as a noisy transformer in a substation or cabinet close to where you live. If you can find the source you might be able to do something about it. 

The high pitched tinnitus is, alas, yours and yours to keep. Many people have it to some degree, as do I, and there’s not much you can do about it other than to try not to focus on it. Easier said than done for us autists. You’re not going mad. 

Children
  • Thank you for your answer. Yes, exactly I concentrate on these sounds - my tinnitus and the hum, there is also breath of my husband and daughter and wind or rain outside etc. it often makes it hard to fall asleep. I found very soft ear plugs but there is one problem- if I sleep with them and wear them long during the day then I have itching in my ears and I think the tinnitus gets stronger. About the electric hum I have no time or power to trace it it may be something in the walls… there is no transformer nearby that I would know about.