Shock treatment

Hi all,

I was going down a ted talk rabbit hole about Autism and ADHD yesterday.  I watched a particular video where a young man from the USA talked about "shock" treatment he and others had received at a school he was residing at.  He wasn't talking about ECT but a treatment given to supposedly "correct" behaviour! WTF!  It makes me so sickened to hear this.  Especially what he described. :-(. I feel super privileged to have grown up in the UK where I (despite many challenges) have gone under the radar.  Watching this really changed my understanding of how messed up it is for some of us. The guy is fine now and forgiving of what happened which I think is incredible.  I'm relieved he's okay and I hope that this doesn't go on anywhere else. 

Has anyone else known about this?

• It's so shocking and I wish it wasn't the way of the world but it seems to be.  I appreciate you taking time to reply. 

• Thanks for your reply.  I wish things were different and hope that in the future there will be more acceptance of all people.  Pisses me off that there isn't but I can only do what I can do in my lifetime and hope that it helps someone. 

• Yeh I’m pretty sure they still have these extreme conversion centres for gay people in the USA. It’s absolutely shocking that these things are allowed. Shock treatment doesn’t treat autism anyway it’s just torture. Some people are just evil plain and simple.

• Although I’ve heard of some extreme things in the US, such as shock treatment for being gay (when being gay (was) considered a mental disorder in the 1950’s), the treatments for disabilities and mental health issues over the decades has not been much better on this side of the pond - the refusal to accept and understand new findings re Autism, especially during and post-Covid has been hugely concerning, just as much as the behaviour and attitudes of those in power towards those of us with autism, regarding those of us with autism as being “naughty” or “hopeless and heedless” and in believing that the only way to manage our condition was strict discipline and/or corporal punishment, attitudes which still persist today - future government policies and attitudes towards disability issues must constantly be robustly challenged in every way and at every level, as for our own sake, we cannot afford to let up on the pressure for even a second, they must never be let off the hook