Mental Health

Hello everyone! I am new here and I wanted to find people I can connect with and talk too because my mother keeps telling me to do so. I struggle with depression and anxiety, some days are better than others but I often have bad days. I would like to know how people cope with situations like this.

• Depression and anxiety. Never far from me. For most of my life I've not known the cause. Seems like autism may play a part. Knowing that and not beating myself up about it is part of what helps me just now. Doesn't get rid of it but makes it somewhat less unbearable and hopefully means that I'm less likely to fall into the clutches of severe depression.

Also, having friends who will just listen and accept without judging or offering advice may help. I think it's good just to be heard. I had no-one like that at your age, but you may do and, if not, you may one day. Even talking to the Samaritans can be a safety valve. I've found talking to them can help just to let the feelings out.

We're all different. I hope you find your way of managing these things in time. Take care!

• Hey Rosie!

Thank you so much for replying and giving me this information. This community has so far been great and the people I've talked too already have been really helpful and understanding of my situation.

I will take a look at the links you've sent me. I appreciate you reaching out to me, it really means a lot to me.

Kind regards,

Kyle

• Hi Kyle Long,

Welcome to our Online Community! I hope that you find lots of helpful information and support from chatting with our online community members. I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with depression and anxiety. 

You may like to have a look at the mental health section of our website which has useful links to information and advice about a range of mental health issues: https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/mental-health  

The information on our anxiety and depression pages may be of particular interest:

If you feel that you might need some support with your mental health, you can find advice and information on how to go about seeking help, including links to other resources and details of helplines and listening support services, here: https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/mental-health/seeking-help. 

Kind Regards,

Rosie Mod