Coming out of a shutdown

Last night I had a major shutdown, in response to family argument. From 4pm to midnight, I could not speak and sat still for at least an hour, without moving at all. Today I was the same from 6am till 9ish. Then I had zero energy and functioned on autopilot to do basic tasks like make breakfast and coffee. Words, when they came were low, monotone single words. My sensory tolerances were very low, and speech has slowly returned to me. I still don't feel 100%. I have been shuffling around, having odd 10 minute power sleeps, sighing a lot.

Do other people experience shutdowns in this way?

Parents
  • Yes, many people experience shutdowns in this way. Shutdowns can be caused by a variety of factors, including stress, anxiety, and environmental triggers.

When I experiences a shutdown, I may become unresponsive and withdrawn. I generally can't speak or move and processing my thoughts is impossible. It's almost like being frozen, I can see but that's about it, everything else stops. 

I'm really sorry you went through shutdown. It's not a pleasant experience but is one I'm sure nearly every autistic person can relate to. 

Tulip is right, rest is key. Get as much rest as you can and you'll gradually recover.

Look after yourself x.

• Yes, many people experience shutdowns in this way. Shutdowns can be caused by a variety of factors, including stress, anxiety, and environmental triggers.

When I experiences a shutdown, I may become unresponsive and withdrawn. I generally can't speak or move and processing my thoughts is impossible. It's almost like being frozen, I can see but that's about it, everything else stops. 

I'm really sorry you went through shutdown. It's not a pleasant experience but is one I'm sure nearly every autistic person can relate to. 

Tulip is right, rest is key. Get as much rest as you can and you'll gradually recover.

Look after yourself x.

Children
No Data