Supermarket Customers

Dear All,

Can anyone share with me if they have bother in supermarkets.What I find is people are unkind ,if I politely ask them to move so I can grab something, they either ignore take ages or give me lip!

I am a very polite gentle person who believes in kindness and good manners.Does anyone else find the same selfishness and any advice ti deal with.Even wearing my Lanyard makes little difference

Parents
  • I find it's often older people stood in the middle of aisles with their shopping trollies blocking any way through, what I find the rudest are when they look around and are aware that there are people trying to get past them and ignore everyone. I use my mother/headmistress voice and say loudly, politely and firmly, 'Excuse me please'. They inevitably get in a huff, some have even said 'how rude!', if challanged I would ask why what I said was rude, I didn't swear, or push, and I said please. 

I'd say don't back down, you have as much right to be there as them, stay calm if challenged and reflect back to them any rudeness they accuse you of. You can be polite, well mannered and kind, but you don't have to be a doormat.

• Yes TheCatWoman I used to do the internet shopping in Tescos and politely said excuse me please to two ladies who were blocking the aisle whilst having a chat and they were so offended, one of them actually said “we’re having a conversation?” as though that justified blocking the whole aisle. It’s so unnecessary I still don’t understand how they felt they were entitled to block everyone else because they were talking to each other and it’s been 15 years now. Those internet shopping trolleys have timers on there’s barely a second to spare

• I think it must be a very particular sort of person who thinks they have the right to block others in a shop, like they're on some kind of picket duty. When my children were teenagers and we'd go and visit my parents who lived in Eastbourne, we'd get on the bus to go to the sea front and my children would give up thier seats for elderly passengers and I'd be told what lovely well mannered children I had. On the way home, these elderly people would elbow my children out of the way to get on the bus first muttering about how they'd died in the blitz so as we could stand at bus stops. I think they must be the same sort of people who block supermarket aisles.

The other sort that bug me are the "slow families", they take up the entire pavement like an ambulatory picket line and just dont' seem to think that others might need to pass them.

• I think it must be a very particular sort of person who thinks they have the right to block others in a shop, like they're on some kind of picket duty. When my children were teenagers and we'd go and visit my parents who lived in Eastbourne, we'd get on the bus to go to the sea front and my children would give up thier seats for elderly passengers and I'd be told what lovely well mannered children I had. On the way home, these elderly people would elbow my children out of the way to get on the bus first muttering about how they'd died in the blitz so as we could stand at bus stops. I think they must be the same sort of people who block supermarket aisles.

The other sort that bug me are the "slow families", they take up the entire pavement like an ambulatory picket line and just dont' seem to think that others might need to pass them.

Children