Qu: About Morality If Punishing Criminals With severe or profound NPD And ASPD

Is it moral to punish and put people with Narcissistic Personality Disorder or Antisocial Personality Disorder with psychopathic features in jails or prisons instead of forensic correctional facilities?

First of all, jails or prisons don't have excellent training to handle those two personality disorders correctly if it is severe or profound, even if a prison psychiatrist or psychologist is trying to help severely mentally ill prisoners fix their thoughts and conduct.

Another issue is that people with severe or profound Narcissistic Personality Disorder or severe or profound Antisocial Personality Disorder with psychopathic features might be legally sane and competent to stand trial. Still, they have this strange nihilistic delusional view of this world. When they commit crimes, many also have a delusion that rules don't apply to them, due to disregard for right and wrong, and also black and withe thinking, with no grounds for the middle ground.

I hope you guys understand where I am coming from with this issue.

Parents
  • For the most serious crimes like murder, treason, rape, sexual offences against any child under 21, drug dealing, drug trafficking, drug smuggling, in most cases these are serious enough to warrant capital punishment, not just mere inprisoment for life - sexual offenders in particular cannot be rehabilitated where they have committed sexual offences against children and I firmly believe that we must take a far more hardline stance on such offenders by means of capital punishment - in order for the deterrent value of the law to really mean something and for the law to really be respected, there must be an element of fear of the law and of the consequences of certain actions and at present, the law, the courts and our legal system is largely toothless when it comes to serious offences - I know that there is the issue of making martyrs out of terrorist offenders by using capital punishment, but we should not be letting the criminals decide the course of justice - every U.K. murder since the abolition of capital punishment in the early 1960’s has become ever more horrific, starting with the Moors Murders - the same applies to the abolition of the Treason & Sedition laws - I have always been a firm advocate and supporter of the restoration of capital punishment for many years now, the lack of which has enabled criminals to escape justice and the lack of which has also caused immeasurable suffering to families decades after the immediate crime, a prime example of which has been the Moors Murders, where Ian Brady, the very epitome and personification of evil, has tormented his victims families from beyond his grave 

• I firmly believe that we must take a far more hardline stance on such offenders

It is interesting that just 28 years ago, being openly gay in Ireland was a quite serious offence.

Now it is not so it is evidence that society has an adaptable attitude to crime.

What is to say that in another 28 years that manslaughter will be considered only a minor crime (lack on intent perhaps)? Tricky to say what the attitudes will be that far away.

sexual offences against any child under 21

I assume you mean 18 - it means a person who turned 21 who had intimate relations with someone 1 day younger is guilty of a serious sexual crime.

While the spirit of the law is important, the implementation often has serious shortfalls. I guess either the definition of the offence needs to be strengthened or abstenance needs to be enforced until we reach 21.

I have always been a firm advocate and supporter of the restoration of capital punishment for many years now

What other old standards should we re-introduce then? If you open this can of worms then you can quickly end up in a bad place.

• That makes sense.

Reply Children
No Data