Trying to find my place in the spectrum

My therapist said that I should spend time in the autistic community to get a better sense of myself as an autistic person so I can work out what is anxiety and what is autism (so I know what to bother trying to fix). I find this very hard because it's a spectrum so therefore we are all different. So how are any of us supposed to be able to define what is our autism and what's not? How are we supposed to be able to draw a metaphorical box around which bits we shouldn't waste time trying to fix? Not sure what I'm asking, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Parents
  • what is anxiety and what is autism

If you figure this out let me know. I'm not aware that I ever really feel anxious. I know I feel stress different to my neurotypical colleagues. Maybe I just avoid so much that I have learned over the years that I'm not aware of it.

I don't know if you can 'fix' anxiety, but if you can, would it be worth trying to fix things anyway, then if it doesn't work it's not the anxiety?

I get nervous before giving a presentation even when I have a script prepared. But I wouldn't call it anxiety, because nerves are natural. I don't like answering the phone when it rings, but I don't know if that is anxiety based, because I don't answer the phone, I call or text back if they leave a message.

Anxiety is an autistic trait but not exclusively so - neurotypicals can also be anxious so it isn't a direct cause/effect situation.

I find it much easier to think that autism makes these more pronunced traits - higher sensitivity if you like.

Instead of focusing on what is my autism I just treat it as a factor that affects me in the same way that my fair skin affects my ability to be in the sun, how my height makes it necessary to stoop in very old house door frames and how my hairy chest can get caught in zippers.

All can be managed better once you understand them - for anxiety I found mindfulness and meditation were great tools for bringing these under control.

I wear sunscreen or a long sleeved top in the sun, wear a padded hat when visiting old houses and trim my chest hair now and again to manage the other issues.

With autism come a bunch of traits - identify which of these you have an issue with and there are techniques to help make these less of a nuisance at times.

After all you are still you - the autism is only a label for your traits so I suggest understanding the most prominent ones, manage them and you are still the same you, just with better management skills.

Anxiety is an autistic trait but not exclusively so - neurotypicals can also be anxious so it isn't a direct cause/effect situation.

I find it much easier to think that autism makes these more pronunced traits - higher sensitivity if you like.

Instead of focusing on what is my autism I just treat it as a factor that affects me in the same way that my fair skin affects my ability to be in the sun, how my height makes it necessary to stoop in very old house door frames and how my hairy chest can get caught in zippers.

All can be managed better once you understand them - for anxiety I found mindfulness and meditation were great tools for bringing these under control.

I wear sunscreen or a long sleeved top in the sun, wear a padded hat when visiting old houses and trim my chest hair now and again to manage the other issues.

With autism come a bunch of traits - identify which of these you have an issue with and there are techniques to help make these less of a nuisance at times.

After all you are still you - the autism is only a label for your traits so I suggest understanding the most prominent ones, manage them and you are still the same you, just with better management skills.

Children
No Data