DBT? Anyone tried?

I’ve come across DBT which is dialectical behaviour therapy, and was wondering if anyone who suffers with low mood and anxiety have tried?

Parents
  • Yes I’ve had DBT. A long time ago mind, I did the course 3 times, last time was in 2009. It was helpful, it’s primarily for borderline personality disorder, but it’s one of those things that if you put the effort in you’ll get the rewards from it, it you just go and not really engage you won’t. You really do have to practice what you learn in order for the therapy to be effective. It helped me overcome 20 years of self harm so I can vouch for its effectiveness. If you can get on the course I would definitely recommend doing it, it’s a lot different than CBT, more intense but it is worth it.

With all the skills learned, you’ll find there’s some that are more helpful than others, I guess it depends on what your main issues are. The distress tolerance section was what I found most useful, as well as the mindfulness stuff.

hope this helps 

• Yes I’ve had DBT. A long time ago mind, I did the course 3 times, last time was in 2009. It was helpful, it’s primarily for borderline personality disorder, but it’s one of those things that if you put the effort in you’ll get the rewards from it, it you just go and not really engage you won’t. You really do have to practice what you learn in order for the therapy to be effective. It helped me overcome 20 years of self harm so I can vouch for its effectiveness. If you can get on the course I would definitely recommend doing it, it’s a lot different than CBT, more intense but it is worth it.

With all the skills learned, you’ll find there’s some that are more helpful than others, I guess it depends on what your main issues are. The distress tolerance section was what I found most useful, as well as the mindfulness stuff.

hope this helps 

Children
No Data