Autism and OCD

I know a lot of people have spoken about this topic on here before but I really wanted to put a post out as it's something I'm figuring out at the moment.

I have known I was autistic for a few years now but I am starting to think more and more that I may have OCD as well. I have heard there are a lot of links between autism and OCD and lots of people have both. I just wondered if this was the case and if anyone could tell me any more about it and the links between the two? Would really help 

Parents
  • Hi Billy 

There is definitely a link between being autistic and experiencing OCD which I think is partly because it is more common for us to be monotropic. I assume you know what monotropism is?

Here are some articles about the link:

https://www.autisticrealms.com/writing/categories/ocd

I hope this helps!

• Hi Ausome, thanks for the articles, I will have a read. I don't actually know what monotropic is

• You are welcome!

Ok, monotropism is a theory derived from autistics about we use our attention. Autistic people are more likely to be monotropic which means we focus more intensely only a single or few attention tunnels which in turn results in everything outside of that attention tunnel almost seeming non existent. Due to the fact that we focus more intently on a few things (as opposed to polytropic people who can spread their attention across multiple channels at any time) we are more to experience repeating thoughts both about our interests and things that could be distressing (for example, intrusive thoughts in the context of OCD).

Does this make sense? If not monotropism is explained in more detail in the articles I have linked to.

• You are welcome!

Ok, monotropism is a theory derived from autistics about we use our attention. Autistic people are more likely to be monotropic which means we focus more intensely only a single or few attention tunnels which in turn results in everything outside of that attention tunnel almost seeming non existent. Due to the fact that we focus more intently on a few things (as opposed to polytropic people who can spread their attention across multiple channels at any time) we are more to experience repeating thoughts both about our interests and things that could be distressing (for example, intrusive thoughts in the context of OCD).

Does this make sense? If not monotropism is explained in more detail in the articles I have linked to.

Children
No Data