Break the Cycle Campaign - more than 6 in 10 people detained in mental health units are autistic

Autistica have launched a campaign to break the cycle of autistic people being unnecessarily detained in mental health units. Many are trapped for years and the traumatic treatment they endure in unsuitable environments means that their mental health actually gets worse not better.

Most shockingly the article states that more than 60% of people detained in mental health units are autistic. The actual proportion could even be higher if services do not pick up on and assess for autism.

Details of the campaign can be found here. They are urging everyone to write to their MP and a proforma letter template is provided.

https://www.autistica.org.uk/get-involved/break-the-cycle

If you need any more convincing read the heart-breaking story of Jackie, who was sectioned in her 50s following the death of her father. She went through what can only be described as a living hell for several years. 

https://www.autistica.org.uk/get-involved/my-autism-story/jackies-story

The loss of a parent can be a huge life change for an autistic person and trigger a mental health crisis. Realistically I could see myself in that situation in the not too distant future and that is extremely scary. Autistic people should not be afraid of seeking support for fear of being sectioned. We need to unite to stop this appalling mistreatment of our fellow autists.

Parents
  • I'm sorry you find yourself worrying if you will end up such a situation. I truly hope you don't. It really is truly shocking. I've been in that position, after losing my sister and was detained.

I'm home again now but being in hospital for so long had a huge negative effect on me on so many levels - a noisy, bright unpredictable mental health ward is NO place for someone with autism in my opinion. I was detained in 2021 and I still have nightmares about it now! My parents are both in ill health and I know before long I will be back there and that frightens me, proper terrifies me just thinking about it. That's why I joined this community, so far it's been invaluable to me so thank you guys you're awesome.

I hope something can be done about detaining autistic people. We don't need shutting away in a hospital. That is the last thing we need... I don't know why the professionals can't see this. We NEED more access to good support with people who understand and want to help us.

We need to unite to stop this appalling mistreatment of our fellow autists.

Amen to that. I have contacted my local MP regarding autism and being detained, am still waiting for a response but will keep everyone here posted if anyone is interested.

• I'm sorry you find yourself worrying if you will end up such a situation. I truly hope you don't. It really is truly shocking. I've been in that position, after losing my sister and was detained.

I'm home again now but being in hospital for so long had a huge negative effect on me on so many levels - a noisy, bright unpredictable mental health ward is NO place for someone with autism in my opinion. I was detained in 2021 and I still have nightmares about it now! My parents are both in ill health and I know before long I will be back there and that frightens me, proper terrifies me just thinking about it. That's why I joined this community, so far it's been invaluable to me so thank you guys you're awesome.

I hope something can be done about detaining autistic people. We don't need shutting away in a hospital. That is the last thing we need... I don't know why the professionals can't see this. We NEED more access to good support with people who understand and want to help us.

We need to unite to stop this appalling mistreatment of our fellow autists.

Amen to that. I have contacted my local MP regarding autism and being detained, am still waiting for a response but will keep everyone here posted if anyone is interested.

Children
  • I'm so sorry for what you have been through.  Might it help to get some proper autism informed bereavement support now.  It might better equip you come the inevitable.  I get that one, my parents are pretty frail now too.

• Thank you. I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your sister. Being pulled out of your familiar home environment into the totally unsuitable mental health ward was the last thing you needed when trying to deal with such a devastating loss. I agree with you about why can't the so called professionals in mental health services see that Confused, it's not rocket science.

If you are willing to go public about your experiences then one of the autistic charities may want to feature your story as a case study.

NAS also have an ongoing campaign to change the mental health laws, to prevent people from being detained just for being autistic. Also crucially to force councils to provide enough community services to prevent autistic people from reaching crisis point.

https://www.autism.org.uk/what-we-do/campaign/mental-health/time-to-act

Please do keep us posted about any response you get from your MP.