upcoming exams- stress and burnout rant (kinda)

I've got upcoming formal exams and i'm so so so stressed i feel like i haven't done enough revision. I got diagnosed w ADHD three months ago and have started taking medication and it worked rlly well but i've got to cover two years worth of content to make up for how much I zoned out. I basically crave academic validation and had a huge meltdown cause i got a chemistry mock back and got a terrible score but chemistry is my fave and my best subject. I basically feel super stressed and I can't do any work at home. I'm constantly tearful too like i'll just want to burst into tears. I'm convinced we'll not finish the biology content on time because my new teacher is AWFUL and we're going soooo slowly. I've had loads of panic attacks and meltdowns and my teachers just say its normal?! I feel like i've burned out cause everything is so loud, I can't work alot, I don't speak and have to force myself to mask when I really cannot be bothered (but if you know anything about neurotypical teenage girls, you know its probably best to mask) If anyone has any advice for how to manage exams as an AuDHD that would be much appreciated :)

• First, calm down. I know, that doesn't seem helpful, or possible, but really the best way to solve this problem right now is take a step back and a few deep breaths, try to see it from the outside. Everything must seem so much to you right now, AuDHD seems to make everything seem either important or irrelevant, but some things are more important long term than others, so let's try and pick them apart.

You don't say which exams these are, I would guess either GCSEs or A-levels? You also don't say how supportive your family is. If you did fail to get the grades you want, and are capable of getting, what would happen? You could drop out and get a badly paid job, which is probably not the best idea, it doesn't sound like that is the life you want. I used to think I could run away to Scotland and live in a cave! No idea what I thought I'd eat, but there you go, I wasn't very practical at your age... Or you could resit the exams or take an extra year of study and then retake them.

I'm sure it seems vital to you to get them done now and move on to the next step at the same time as everyone else. But I can assure you that from a later in life perspective, that it is not a bad thing if you had to end up taking an extra year. If you did that then it might be better to look at a 6th form college rather than staying at school, if that's an option, I found I did better in that atmosphere as they treat you a bit more like an adult. Universities don't generally mind taking on a student who has had a year out or an extra year, it can give a bit more maturity and shows you are dedicated enough to persevere, so it won't harm your future prospects. The only issue might be if your family didn't support you doing this.

So if you accept the idea of an extra year as not a disaster but a decent back up plan, you should then feel a lot calmer about this set of exams, as failing is no longer the end of the world. Feeling calmer will help you revise with a clearer head, and if the teacher is going too slowly then you might be better doing self study in the library or at home or wherever you focus best, except for the practical lessons of course.

It is normal to be stressed, your teachers are not wrong about that, but they might be underestimating the level of stress you feel as AuDHD as it is probably more intense than for NTs. I always found it reduced my stress to have a backup plan which is why I have written about that. I am AuDHD too and managed a high level of academic success, as have others here, so you can do it! It is good that you now have meds and they are helping, I never had that.

When I was revising, I would work in blocks of 50 mins and then have a ten min break. Sometimes I would do something physical in the break, other times something relaxing. It is worth spending a bit of time planning, but not so much that it eats too far into the actual revision. Make sure you get enough sleep, stay hydrated and eat well, that will improve the quality of your revision, which is better than quantity. It is also good for you to have one day a week off with a complete break and do something you enjoy.

I hope some of this helps!