OCD

How many of you suffer with OCD? I know I've posted about this before, but I thought I'd do it again as I've been suffering greatly with it as of late. My symptoms are varied, you have the pretty standard ones, like washing your hands every fifteen minutes in case you didn't do so properly the previous time, but also, and I'd be interested to know if anyone else has this, ruminations on events that happened at least five years ago. You can't look at something without somehow being reminded of an event you regret. 

Thankfully, CBT therapy has been arranged and I'll be having it in at least September, but until then, I have to suffer with those three letters that, if you've never heard of them, you're clearly living a better life - OCD. I know this isn't the happiest of posts, but you can't expect me or indeed anyone to be happy all the time. Everyone, including people like Mr. Jolly from Playdays (remember him?) has to feel any emotion other than happiness at least once in their life. 

But please do tell me your interactions with it if you have it and/or know someone else who does. My dad and his surviving niece also have it, but my surviving niece took CBT which, as I've heard, is life changing. Looking forward to having it! 

Parents
  • I have OCD. I'm sorry you do as well, it's really horrible and I struggle with it every day. I'm not sure if it's the same for you but I find it exhausting as well and it almost burns me out.

I get the usual like hand washing and if I see a red or white car then something bad will happen. I also have to brush my hair over and over again because it feels like it's become untidy and messy which can be painful on my scalp. I get thoughts suddenly when I see or hold a knife and that's that I'll flip and suddenly hurt someone I love or if I suddenly hurt myself.

It's good you're going to be having CBT. I hear that's really useful and has good results for a lot of people so hopefully you will be the same. I haven't seen a Dr in ages but next time I do need to I might mention CBT as life with this can be unbearable at times.

• I have OCD. I'm sorry you do as well, it's really horrible and I struggle with it every day. I'm not sure if it's the same for you but I find it exhausting as well and it almost burns me out.

I get the usual like hand washing and if I see a red or white car then something bad will happen. I also have to brush my hair over and over again because it feels like it's become untidy and messy which can be painful on my scalp. I get thoughts suddenly when I see or hold a knife and that's that I'll flip and suddenly hurt someone I love or if I suddenly hurt myself.

It's good you're going to be having CBT. I hear that's really useful and has good results for a lot of people so hopefully you will be the same. I haven't seen a Dr in ages but next time I do need to I might mention CBT as life with this can be unbearable at times.

Children
  • Sorry to hear of your struggles. Just remember that you aren't alone. I will admit right here and now (and I don't normally do this) that my OCD has lead to me tearing my hair out in stress, which made my forehead look like one of David Beckham's *** hairstyle attempts.

• My OCD is based on having an ordered routine or not use to changes, making sure when I clean or tidy everything is in line and stand correctly or when wash my hands I do it constantly until my skin peels. At the same time when I see someone out of line or messy even though it’s not my responsibility I always clean it up or make it right that way it helps me. I do find it exhausting most times but I can’t stop.