Autistic Burnout

Hey all, I'm wondering if anyone would be happy to share any tips around how to cope with autistic burnout or chronic anxiety?

I have recently had to take time off from work and sought out support via NHS and was put on anti-anxiety medication and I have therapy (that has been a bit on and off due to therapists changing and being out of office). I am now trying to get back to work, but I am finding it really hard. I work from home so that helps a little but I've noticed that the anxiety is still quite bad and I also have trouble focusing and completing tasks that I was able to do before. 

Thank you for any advise or experiences your able to share! 

Parents
  • I understand anxiety and burnout as two separate things, albeit if you're anxiety has been running at a high for a while it can lead to burnout and you can have them both together.  Same with depression.  They can co-occur, but they aren't the same thing.

Burnout for me is an extreme exhaustion and lack of motivation, sometimes with some very strange muscle aches.  Anything on life's 'to do' list suddenly seems too confusing and too difficult.  There aren't any meds for it, only rest.  The advice to take it easy is right.  Set very few goals for the day and allow time to do the things that give you some pleasure and lots of sleep. It will just go in the end, but how long, for me anyway, depends on how deep the burn out goes.  In my younger day, a few days or a week.  Of late, I've been through a lot and when the burn out hit it has gone on a over a year...not quite shaken it yet.  

• I understand anxiety and burnout as two separate things, albeit if you're anxiety has been running at a high for a while it can lead to burnout and you can have them both together.  Same with depression.  They can co-occur, but they aren't the same thing.

Burnout for me is an extreme exhaustion and lack of motivation, sometimes with some very strange muscle aches.  Anything on life's 'to do' list suddenly seems too confusing and too difficult.  There aren't any meds for it, only rest.  The advice to take it easy is right.  Set very few goals for the day and allow time to do the things that give you some pleasure and lots of sleep. It will just go in the end, but how long, for me anyway, depends on how deep the burn out goes.  In my younger day, a few days or a week.  Of late, I've been through a lot and when the burn out hit it has gone on a over a year...not quite shaken it yet.  

Children
  • Yes they definitely are two separate things but I do feel like if I could have a little less anxiety it would help how I feel. I started to realise I was in burnout when I felt exhausted, had stomach issues, couldn't sleep well and I couldn't complete tasks I usually am able to. My mind just couldn't work the same way it had before and my body was reacting too. This time around this all started around end of April and I started to feel a little better in May/June but it got really worse in July. I had to take several weeks off work and now I'm trying to be back at work but really struggling. Not sure if I can take more time off really.

I'm sorry to hear your burnout has been lasting so long, I do hope you're able to adapt and adjust things a bit more to support you to to get to enjoy life more rather than having to deal with burnout so consistently!