I need to go for a medical examination. Major Anxiety!

Good evening,

I'm looking for advice on how to survive a visit to the doctor. I don't like to be touched and have real problems when it comes to verbalising my needs and fears when talking to people, especially doctors whom I try and avoid as much as possible. My old GP has left the practice (not that I went and saw her much) and now I am faced with meeting a new doctor. I have severe anxiety and my mental health is not great at the moment.

I always find it difficult to verbalise, articulate and express my wishes when it comes to appointments such as these. I'm unable to make phone calls and so a few weeks ago I wrote a letter to my GP (my old one). I wrote to her about 6 months ago detailing what the problem was (she was very understanding, knowing my dislike of touch and prescribed me what she could on the information I had detailed). Fast forward and my problem has worsened, so a couple of weeks ago I wrote to her again saying this and that I felt I had no option but to be seen.

Today I received a text from the medical centre with an appointment. I know nothing about the new doctor and I'm not sure if she will understand how I communicate and what a massive deal this is for me, and I mean massive! I thought I would write a brief list of my concerns about the examination and how I need information explained to me. Does that sound reasonable? I fear greatly that she will not be nice and open to my needs.

Just going out is a major problem at the moment. I had to attend a psychiatrist appointment about a month ago and my anxiety was immense, I did get through it (and psychiatrist are used to anxious people) but when I came out I think I went into shock. I just stood outside shaking for about 30 minutes and then when I finally got home just went into shutdown. I haven't the words for how bad my anxiety is.

This post doesn't really express all my fears but even here on the forum I can't articulate everything that is going on inside my head. It's a week and a half away and as every day passes I know that my anxiety will heighten. What if I burn out before then and just can't even keep the appointment?

Any advice would be really welcomed.

Thanks.

Parents
  • I understand this. I have huge medical phobia and that induces massive anxiety, burnout and shutdown. I have huge fears with appointments and actually seeing medical professionals. Unfortunately I have to confront these fears all the time because my health problems send me in and out of hospital. 

What you could do is call or write to them ahead of time and share your feelings and see if they can do anything to help ease them. Like Dawn said you can always ask about who has most knowledge and understanding of autism. I did that with my new GP practice when I moved to England and they were really supportive.

I'm sorry I can't be more help. Try to keep calm and keep busy. You'll be absolutely fine.

• I understand this. I have huge medical phobia and that induces massive anxiety, burnout and shutdown. I have huge fears with appointments and actually seeing medical professionals. Unfortunately I have to confront these fears all the time because my health problems send me in and out of hospital. 

What you could do is call or write to them ahead of time and share your feelings and see if they can do anything to help ease them. Like Dawn said you can always ask about who has most knowledge and understanding of autism. I did that with my new GP practice when I moved to England and they were really supportive.

I'm sorry I can't be more help. Try to keep calm and keep busy. You'll be absolutely fine.

Children
  • Hi Singsong, I’m sorry your also have a massive medical phobia and that you’re constantly having to go through it all so often! I think sending another letter in advance is an excellent one. Now I have the name of the GP (locum) I’ll be seeing I can write it directly to her and explain a little further of the communication and sensory issues I have. I’m also going to look into the use of an advocate.

I have found in the past that where I haven’t been able to articulate myself properly to a medical professional they’ve taken it that I have agreed to everything they can do to me. It took me going into complete meltdown and shouting to stop a procedure that wasn’t needed or related for them to actually stop. It was very scary and I actually felt violated. I think they would have just carried on had I not been screaming the hospital down. Sorry, information you didn’t need, but I think it highlights that there aren’t enough medical staff with some understanding of autism and how these sorts of appointments can affect some of us.

Sorry all written very badly, my brain is very tired. Thank you for your response and I’m glad you’ve found some support within your practice.