Can Asperger children cope in mainstream school?

Dear Group,

I would be interested to hear anyones experience of having Aspergers syndrome and being in mainstream school. If a child has hyperacusis (hyper sensitivity to sound) along with their Aspergers diagnosis should they be in mainstream?...or would they thrive better in a special school where the acoustics are better (carpets etc.) and classes smaller?

My daughter has Aspergers and hyperacusis. I don't want to limit her academic or learning options as she is clearly very creative and hugely imaginative....but equally I am concerned about her health and wellbeing because on a daily basis she is overloaded and her stress levels are high due to noise and overwhelm.

If anyone has any experiences or advice I would be really grateful. Thanks you : )

Parents
  • Phew...what to say, some of us went through our whole school life with no one knowing we were Aspies at all.

My mother cried when I got my diagnosis at aged 56. "You could have had help" she said. Errrr, I doubt she'd have liked what "help" looked like in the 1970s,. But that said in hindsight, yeah. I wish my teachers would have been aware, but would I have wanted to be in anything other than mainstream education?....Noooo!!!

I would have had limited academic opportunity, a restricted curriculum, would never have gone to university, had the same job opportunities, would never have had friends on my intellectual level.

It's only my perspective, I know nothing of your kid, but instinctually, I'd say if she is of average to high or even very high IQ, fight for support within mainstream, so she is supported without clipping her wings.

By the way, 'creative and imaginative' was how my school reports described me; along with the fact I didn't mix much of course, lol. But ultimately my wellbeing was better met by stretching my mind than carpet to spare me sensory pain.

You might want to talk to your daughter about this. How old is she? Old enough to judge for herself, or still an infant?

• I agree with a lot of this. Of course sensory experience is incredibly different now.

So long as she has access to fresh air and natural light and isn't forced into social situations, she might learn her ways to cope. I had teachers who would let me sit in their class during out door periods or spend time in quiet spaces during lunch.

I sometimes just wear these when popping into town, on the bus, etc. https://www.etymotic.com/product/etyplugs-high-fidelity-earplugs/ the blue ones are nice for small ears and I can hear everything with much more clarity.

• My daughter does generally avoid social situations a lot. She often plays alone and seems to prefer that but she has been a target for bullying in mainstream because she is different. That could get much meaner at secondary level!

• There's no way of telling, really. The key is in how the secondary manage the situation.

I was subject to a lot of bullying, which was handled very badly in middle school and my life there was a misery, but secondary school was great. Because it was bigger, I could just avoid the kids likely to bully me and because friendships no longer relied of this 'play's business, which I didn't really understand, but instead on shared interests and talking about ideas, I did have friends and did well academically.

• It is absolutely imperative she wear ear plugs. She shouldn't need to ask, she'll be able to hear through them. They simply block out competing sounds and frequencies. We are human. We're designed to work well in a tribal situation in the wild. To hear and differentiate between animals and birdsong. In some countries, individuals who still live in a more natural state can tell the time by the birdsong. 

Sensory pain is pain. Without our senses we couldn't exist, we are all sensory beings. To Autistics, painful frequencies, even low feel like a knife going through the skull. Same with painful LEDs. High flickering CLFs, LEDs can set the heart rate up as it's like someone continuing to tap you on the forehead only there's no way to stop it but exit. However, none of us could communicate or exist without senses. https://www.considerable.com/health/healthy-living/humans-five-senses/ 

The difference between Autistic-wiring and what's considered Typical is a matter of intensity. We cannot dull our senses. This is potentially due to either the difference in Beta Wave oscillations (according to some studies in neuroscience) and/or due to how the Typical brain or majority of humans have stronger connexions neurologically in the parts of their brain responsible for language and semiotics. According to psychoanalysts dating back to 1950, the use of language helps 'encode' the brain to dull sensory input. For many, their strengths lie in tribal connexions, togetherness. For the Autistic, we would've been responsible for health and safety, science and research. If you think about it, you don't want someone easily influenced or hypnotised by the masses to sort out basic scientific development. 

Hearing you say how exhausted she is at the end of the day sounds like she's thrown into the middle of the ocean every day and has to swim through a few storms back to land. Is she learning anything? Does she have down time to contrast this experience to what she's capable of if left on her own for 8 hours in a library? Have a look at Monotropism https://monotropism.org as well, which helps explain why not only battling the painful experience of easily understood senses, but picking up emotions of everyone around you, only with a lack of ability to identify them. Trying to intake knowledge while fighting external, social, and internal sensory input all at once IS draining. NeuroTypical individuals have the capacity to dull all these and not bother with interruptions. But Autistic individuals thrive in low-sensory impact environments either in solitude or only one other human. We are better designed for hyper-focused, detailed research. We are better suited with a solo mentorship and when we're not pulled in multiple directions. We will thrive diving into one subject at a time for weeks on end or even years, driven easily by Resolve. We are better in dependable situations, where the ground is not continually shifting. And given these better circumstances, we have a LOT to offer the world. 

• It is absolutely imperative she wear ear plugs. She shouldn't need to ask, she'll be able to hear through them. They simply block out competing sounds and frequencies. We are human. We're designed to work well in a tribal situation in the wild. To hear and differentiate between animals and birdsong. In some countries, individuals who still live in a more natural state can tell the time by the birdsong. 

Sensory pain is pain. Without our senses we couldn't exist, we are all sensory beings. To Autistics, painful frequencies, even low feel like a knife going through the skull. Same with painful LEDs. High flickering CLFs, LEDs can set the heart rate up as it's like someone continuing to tap you on the forehead only there's no way to stop it but exit. However, none of us could communicate or exist without senses. https://www.considerable.com/health/healthy-living/humans-five-senses/ 

The difference between Autistic-wiring and what's considered Typical is a matter of intensity. We cannot dull our senses. This is potentially due to either the difference in Beta Wave oscillations (according to some studies in neuroscience) and/or due to how the Typical brain or majority of humans have stronger connexions neurologically in the parts of their brain responsible for language and semiotics. According to psychoanalysts dating back to 1950, the use of language helps 'encode' the brain to dull sensory input. For many, their strengths lie in tribal connexions, togetherness. For the Autistic, we would've been responsible for health and safety, science and research. If you think about it, you don't want someone easily influenced or hypnotised by the masses to sort out basic scientific development. 

Hearing you say how exhausted she is at the end of the day sounds like she's thrown into the middle of the ocean every day and has to swim through a few storms back to land. Is she learning anything? Does she have down time to contrast this experience to what she's capable of if left on her own for 8 hours in a library? Have a look at Monotropism https://monotropism.org as well, which helps explain why not only battling the painful experience of easily understood senses, but picking up emotions of everyone around you, only with a lack of ability to identify them. Trying to intake knowledge while fighting external, social, and internal sensory input all at once IS draining. NeuroTypical individuals have the capacity to dull all these and not bother with interruptions. But Autistic individuals thrive in low-sensory impact environments either in solitude or only one other human. We are better designed for hyper-focused, detailed research. We are better suited with a solo mentorship and when we're not pulled in multiple directions. We will thrive diving into one subject at a time for weeks on end or even years, driven easily by Resolve. We are better in dependable situations, where the ground is not continually shifting. And given these better circumstances, we have a LOT to offer the world. 

Children
No Data