This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Autism and ADHD

Hi,

Does anyone have any advice on Autism and ADHD.

I am a female and was diagnosed at the grand old age of 45 with Autism but lately I am wondering if I also have ADHD.  I have a son who is 9 and has been diagnosed with ADHD but is in the process of seeing if he has Autism.

I read up on lots of information and it is sending me loopy as autism and ADHD have many symptoms that cross over.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Parents
  • Both Autistic and ADHD individuals are characterised by the amount of information and connexions they're making in their thought processing. ADHD is marked by an impulsivity and Autism by more precise and pre-warned transitions. ADHD'ers are great with what seems like multi-taking, Autistics by being highly focused on one-thing-at-a-time. An autistic individual will find they are more accident prone when forced into an unfocused state, ADHD live and function much better at what appears to be a faster pace. Autistic individuals may do well with Judo or Yoga as sport, ADHD with marathons. The thing I find unique is that ADHD individuals seem to be able to bridge a communication gap between NeuroTypical or Non-Autistic and Autistic. 

With communication and a seemingly lack of organisation we appear similar, but ADHD seem to float between all forms of understandings while Autistic individuals have a more analytical and depth of thinking approach. 

The amount going on in our brain all at once and the ability to hyper-focus is a marked similarity. However, many Autistics can, over time, learn their depth of thinking and pace of transition facilitates an ability to use hyper-focus for many things they may not necessarily be interested in. This does not include executive functioning as tying a shoe or organising a folder is not a matter of 'interest'. Autistics may thrive in a very organised, uncluttered space where everything has an exact place - for life. ADHD may not mind the mess, changing things up often. 

This chap has a good explanation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNgLrPkp2y4 

Due to funding, these things are still under research. But we are all talking with one another on these matters, which is how research happens anyway. Another good one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dEjCGvKmEA 

• Both Autistic and ADHD individuals are characterised by the amount of information and connexions they're making in their thought processing. ADHD is marked by an impulsivity and Autism by more precise and pre-warned transitions. ADHD'ers are great with what seems like multi-taking, Autistics by being highly focused on one-thing-at-a-time. An autistic individual will find they are more accident prone when forced into an unfocused state, ADHD live and function much better at what appears to be a faster pace. Autistic individuals may do well with Judo or Yoga as sport, ADHD with marathons. The thing I find unique is that ADHD individuals seem to be able to bridge a communication gap between NeuroTypical or Non-Autistic and Autistic. 

With communication and a seemingly lack of organisation we appear similar, but ADHD seem to float between all forms of understandings while Autistic individuals have a more analytical and depth of thinking approach. 

The amount going on in our brain all at once and the ability to hyper-focus is a marked similarity. However, many Autistics can, over time, learn their depth of thinking and pace of transition facilitates an ability to use hyper-focus for many things they may not necessarily be interested in. This does not include executive functioning as tying a shoe or organising a folder is not a matter of 'interest'. Autistics may thrive in a very organised, uncluttered space where everything has an exact place - for life. ADHD may not mind the mess, changing things up often. 

This chap has a good explanation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNgLrPkp2y4 

Due to funding, these things are still under research. But we are all talking with one another on these matters, which is how research happens anyway. Another good one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dEjCGvKmEA 

Children