Anxiety - how do you cope?

Hi, I was talking to a lovely member yesterday about anxiety and I realised that I literally have no coping tactics for my anxiety and it's getting worse. I'm not sure how it is for everyone else, but for me it is terrible. Feel drained when I'm anxious, I'm tired all the time. I get the shakes in my hands. Upset stomach. Feel sick. And I become so jumpy and on edge. Like if the doorbell rings I become so scared and panicky that I have a panic attack, it's that bad. If I go out I'm the exact same and if I see more than one person the exact same thing happens. I have passed out before which makes it so much worse and embarrassing for me. I hardly go out now, if I do I avoid really busy places but I don't like to be alone either in case I'm attacked by someone. I have my dog who is also my best friend but she's not very protective so doesn't help this. I'm on edge and anxious now just writing this so I'm going to stop now. It's getting worse and I don't know what to do to make it better. There's always the doctor but that thought makes the anxiety even worse. I could call my old hospital but I don't know if they'll help me with anxiety and also talking on the phone is a trigger for me.

I'd be really interested to know what you do to cope with your anxiety, if you struggle with it as well.

Parents
  • Hi Jess

Do  you like the smell of lavender, when I have anxiety I put on my essential oil diffuser and put  a few drops of lavender oil in it  that makes me relax I also read and do jigsaw puzzles or use fidget gadgets ( there are lots of different ones available

Hope this helps 

Julie 

• I love lavender oil too - and lots of other essential oils. I really like a blend from Tisserand at the moment called ‘Sleep better’ - it’s a lovely soothing oil. I used to burn a lot of incense too but decided to use this less as the smoke is not really healthy if you’re burning it every day. Can you recommend a good fidget gadget? I looked at these but there were so many and I wasn’t sure which would be good - so gave up on the idea for a while. 

• Hi Kate

My diffuser that I have got is a steam one I add water then the oil and it's a colour change one aswell 

I have used loads of fidget toys in the past but my 3 favourite are fidget simple dimple keyring, pop it fidget toy ( I use this one in the house) and a pop it spinner

But I also use a a thumb worry stone crystal ( I have a tiger's eye gold), Amethyst and a rose quartz) as this helps with my anxiety and skin picking 

Hope this helps 

• Thank you - I think the book might be helpful it looks really good  - thank you for the recommendation. I’ve been doing some sewing and that has helped - I’ve been repairing and altering lots of clothes (although now I’ve run out of things to repair!). I really appreciate your suggestions, it’s so kind of you. Anxiety can make you feel quite lonely at times - even though I have a loving husband and children. 

• Thank you - I think the book might be helpful it looks really good  - thank you for the recommendation. I’ve been doing some sewing and that has helped - I’ve been repairing and altering lots of clothes (although now I’ve run out of things to repair!). I really appreciate your suggestions, it’s so kind of you. Anxiety can make you feel quite lonely at times - even though I have a loving husband and children. 

Children
No Data