Anxiety - how do you cope?

Hi, I was talking to a lovely member yesterday about anxiety and I realised that I literally have no coping tactics for my anxiety and it's getting worse. I'm not sure how it is for everyone else, but for me it is terrible. Feel drained when I'm anxious, I'm tired all the time. I get the shakes in my hands. Upset stomach. Feel sick. And I become so jumpy and on edge. Like if the doorbell rings I become so scared and panicky that I have a panic attack, it's that bad. If I go out I'm the exact same and if I see more than one person the exact same thing happens. I have passed out before which makes it so much worse and embarrassing for me. I hardly go out now, if I do I avoid really busy places but I don't like to be alone either in case I'm attacked by someone. I have my dog who is also my best friend but she's not very protective so doesn't help this. I'm on edge and anxious now just writing this so I'm going to stop now. It's getting worse and I don't know what to do to make it better. There's always the doctor but that thought makes the anxiety even worse. I could call my old hospital but I don't know if they'll help me with anxiety and also talking on the phone is a trigger for me.

I'd be really interested to know what you do to cope with your anxiety, if you struggle with it as well.

Parents
  • I’m ashamed to say that I’ve used alcohol for all of my adult life to try and combat anxiety. I know it’s not the answer and it is a depressive but it’s how I cope. I have been a lot better recently, it’s only been 4 months since  I’ve known that I’m autistic. It’s a very big learning curve. I have started treating me better and feel a lot more positive.

• I've used alcohol as well. Specifically wine. It numbs the anxiety and stress for a little while. Usually I'll have a glass or three every night which can't be good for me but it helps so I do it. If my anxiety gets severe and really bad and I can't cope in the past I've tried to commit suicide to escape it - not proud of that, but sometimes it feels like the only way out. Last time it was that bad was February.

• I’m sorry to hear that Becky. I understand it - I struggle so much with anxiety and at times it’s driven me to have suicidal thoughts. It’s such a difficult thing to live with - especially when it goes on for months and years. Over the last few months my anxiety has been totally overwhelming. In the past I’ve used alcohol to help me cope with my anxiety. I have a quite low tolerance for alcohol so in a way that was good as I never really went over about 3 units a night. It dulls the anxiety. I had a really serious physical illness late last year though so haven’t had much alcohol since as I feel it’s bad for my recovery. I still have it sometimes though if I am feeling really desperate. I only wish I could get really good help from the nhs for my anxiety - but that’s not easy to access sadly. We are all doing our best aren’t we? Trying to cope with dreadful anxiety on your own is really hard. 

• I’m sorry to hear that Becky. I understand it - I struggle so much with anxiety and at times it’s driven me to have suicidal thoughts. It’s such a difficult thing to live with - especially when it goes on for months and years. Over the last few months my anxiety has been totally overwhelming. In the past I’ve used alcohol to help me cope with my anxiety. I have a quite low tolerance for alcohol so in a way that was good as I never really went over about 3 units a night. It dulls the anxiety. I had a really serious physical illness late last year though so haven’t had much alcohol since as I feel it’s bad for my recovery. I still have it sometimes though if I am feeling really desperate. I only wish I could get really good help from the nhs for my anxiety - but that’s not easy to access sadly. We are all doing our best aren’t we? Trying to cope with dreadful anxiety on your own is really hard. 

Children
No Data