Anxiety - how do you cope?

Hi, I was talking to a lovely member yesterday about anxiety and I realised that I literally have no coping tactics for my anxiety and it's getting worse. I'm not sure how it is for everyone else, but for me it is terrible. Feel drained when I'm anxious, I'm tired all the time. I get the shakes in my hands. Upset stomach. Feel sick. And I become so jumpy and on edge. Like if the doorbell rings I become so scared and panicky that I have a panic attack, it's that bad. If I go out I'm the exact same and if I see more than one person the exact same thing happens. I have passed out before which makes it so much worse and embarrassing for me. I hardly go out now, if I do I avoid really busy places but I don't like to be alone either in case I'm attacked by someone. I have my dog who is also my best friend but she's not very protective so doesn't help this. I'm on edge and anxious now just writing this so I'm going to stop now. It's getting worse and I don't know what to do to make it better. There's always the doctor but that thought makes the anxiety even worse. I could call my old hospital but I don't know if they'll help me with anxiety and also talking on the phone is a trigger for me.

I'd be really interested to know what you do to cope with your anxiety, if you struggle with it as well.

Parents
  • Hi Jess, I tentatively suggest...

Walking and singing perhaps?

Have a great day!

Jim

• I can do walking if it's not too busy and too quiet. But I don't sing, I have the worst singing voice ever...

Hope you have a great day too!

• Hey it doesn't matter if you sound terrible whatsoever, though I have not once met anyone who does not improve by doing.

Even the very worst cases of 'tone-deafness' (fallacy in the vast majority of cases, true inability is exceptionally rare indeed, most people have simply been insulted at a young/tender age by bullies who are too embarrassed to sing themselves!) can be overcome and I have seen it happen over time before my very eyes.

I would gladly sing with you if you wanted support!.

I cannot recommend singing highly enough to everyone here at the NAS!

Cheers, 

Jim

• Your welcome Jess! I look forward to hearing from you. Have a great day! Jim

• Hii Jim, thanks for the suggestion. I will give this a try at some point and let you know how I got on :) 

• Thanks Cullpepper I am very self critical of everything I do, I am trying to work on this. I'll keep working on my drawings :) 

• Thanks Jess,

I only sing at the moment. I don't get much practice or singing done in the usual sense but I communicate by singing song quotes. Maybe I should do a video on some singing practice hacks!

One trick is to put ear plugs in and try to feel vibration. Place a hand on your chest and see if you can feel the vibrations. And then maybe see if you can feel different parts of your face vibrating. When you have found how to relax one area move onto another the goal being to see if you can get as much as your body vibrating as possible. If you get really good at this you can feel chills all up and down your body. 

This may not be the first thing to try but its the first thing that comes to my head without being to demonstrate with more than words that is unlikely to cause confusion!

The other positive is.... no cringing! Don't do it for too long at a time as excessive sensory deprivation may lead to hallucinations even in the healthy! 

Maybe after you have been trying this twenty minutes a day for two weeks. Take out the earplugs at the end of a session and see if you are still cringing. You might surprise yourself!

All the best Jess. You can enjoy singing too! Straight up!

Jim

• Thanks Jess,

I only sing at the moment. I don't get much practice or singing done in the usual sense but I communicate by singing song quotes. Maybe I should do a video on some singing practice hacks!

One trick is to put ear plugs in and try to feel vibration. Place a hand on your chest and see if you can feel the vibrations. And then maybe see if you can feel different parts of your face vibrating. When you have found how to relax one area move onto another the goal being to see if you can get as much as your body vibrating as possible. If you get really good at this you can feel chills all up and down your body. 

This may not be the first thing to try but its the first thing that comes to my head without being to demonstrate with more than words that is unlikely to cause confusion!

The other positive is.... no cringing! Don't do it for too long at a time as excessive sensory deprivation may lead to hallucinations even in the healthy! 

Maybe after you have been trying this twenty minutes a day for two weeks. Take out the earplugs at the end of a session and see if you are still cringing. You might surprise yourself!

All the best Jess. You can enjoy singing too! Straight up!

Jim

Children