Mourning the loss of a special interest and banning yourself from it

I am currently experiencing burnout and I have been off from my work in a research lab (where I wanted to do a PhD) for 5 weeks now. One of the main factors in my burnout was that I got hyper-focused on my research to the exclusion of all else including my health so that I ended up severely underweight. Being unable to say no and getting overburdened at work also contributed as did being around people all day possibly. 

I have since 'banned myself' from science. Science has been my special interest  since age 13 and it has held my life together ever since. I was at first so exhausted that I don't think I had the capacity to engage with science. Now I feel that I am not ready to go back to the lab (and not even sure I can stay in this particular lab as I am not sure it is an environment where I can stay safe) as I am scared I would fall back in the same pattern again as I have not learnt any new coping strategies and still feel so burnt out. I have been so depressed and even more so the past days and find myself crying abundantly and I realised that I am mourning the loss of my special interest (and just generally in utter despair that I simply cannot cope with life)- Has anyone else experienced this? 

I thought today, maybe I should let myself/ push myself to read a paper as a low key way of engaging - but it feels too triggering, like it will make me too sad to have a glimpse of the science world I love so much. Also I am not sure it I am still feeling too burnt out for it. 

At this point I am just sad, and confused about whether I will ever be able to cope with life and if I need to stay away from science for ever. I am even more confused as i have only recently come to suspect I am autistic and I keep doubting everything including this suspicion- It would make so much sense and would change how I manage the next steps in life... but I cannot access a formal assessment any time soon. I am just so sad that my special interest and main source of comfort, stability and motivation has turned against me, that I have had to ban myself from it and from that world. I am grieving and unsure if I should push myself to engage with it again? but it just feels too painful right now.

Parents
  • Once the crisis of your burnout has passed, I would recommend starting the process towards a formal diagnosis. Once you are diagnosed, there will be more clarity for yourself and for any potential employer/PhD supervisor. You can then read around for practical methods to help you cope with being autistic, rather than guessing and feeling unsure. With a formal diagnosis you will also be able to access accommodations that should make work/study easier for you.

• Once the crisis of your burnout has passed, I would recommend starting the process towards a formal diagnosis. Once you are diagnosed, there will be more clarity for yourself and for any potential employer/PhD supervisor. You can then read around for practical methods to help you cope with being autistic, rather than guessing and feeling unsure. With a formal diagnosis you will also be able to access accommodations that should make work/study easier for you.

Children
  • Yes that makes a lot of sense and is exactly what I was thinking- having some clarity would help and like you say if I did get a diagnosis I could use that to access accommodations and figure out coping strategies. I am on the waiting list now, though it will take a while so I'll have to be patient and somehow figure out how to cope at the moment. I've received some very good tips and ideas for coping strategies on this forum and while researching autism.