Bullying

I don't know where to turn here my Daughter has Autism but was let down by CAMS when she turned 16 so had no help . 

She was bullied all through school and the school had help in place for her.

She is now 17 and has gone through her first year of college with no problems as she has tried to keep he autism a secret. Last week she made a mistake by posting a meme on a group chat without thinking and another student said it made the feel awkward so she said sorry and removed it. She was in her second year and now all the bullying starts because of this one girl who has started a hate group against her. She has bee bullied and assaulted by the other students in her group. She went for help but was told it's her own fault by the staff. She has now been thrown out of college which was the only thing she had in her life that kept her calm.

The college say there is nothing we can do there is no way of having this reversed what they say is final. I have put a post on Facebook and seem to have support but i don't know where we stand. Here is a copy of that post.

If your thinking of sending any of your children here **************** Make sure they have no Autism or any mental health problems or disability.
Because if they have and make the slightest mistake (like posting a meme in a group chat that one person didn't like) they will be bullied by staff and other students. If they complain that the are being bullied they will be shouted at by staff and told it's their own fault.
Then if they complain they have been assaulted by other students they will be told they are telling lies. Then if you complain to ****** ******(vice Principle Curriculum)**************You will be ignored and your child will be thrown out of college for being bullied.
[Post edited by moderator]
  • That's fine thank you Chloe, Anger just took over there as a place of education treating my daughter with autism and a group of staff getting together to bully her and then throw her out, Then tell us we have no chance of doing anything about it.

• Hello @James

I'm really sorry to hear that your daughter had this experience at school. If you need support with an appeal against a decision about a child or young person’s educational needs, you might want to contact our Educational Tribunal Support Helpline: 

https://www.autism.org.uk/what-we-do/help-and-support/tribunal-support-line 

Unfortunately your post breaches number 3 of our online community rules '...Please do not use the forum to identify other individuals, whether in passing or when making complaints. Please use alternative websites or resources if you wish to make a complaint about an individual or third party service.' I have therefore had to edit out any identifying individuals/services from your post. Please see our community rules for reference: https://community.autism.org.uk/p/rules

All the best,

Chloe

• While you have my upmost sympathy, for your Daughter's issues, you may get ticked for GDPR Breaches. (The Curriculum Principal's email)

I don't want to see you 'Karened'.

• Thank you Tassimo i have saved the links to show her when she comes back from her mums, 

• James, find another photography training course. You're doing everything you can and she has been let down by the system. But, there are other places out there. 

https://www.udemy.com/topic/photography/free/

https://www.theschoolofphotography.com/online-photography-courses

• She did Muay Thai as i did teach her and she had training at a fight club. We did it to help with her anger issues and to help control it before she would have just attacked them but now she can control the thoughts of violence. But now she has lost all interest in everything. When she was younger she was angry all the time and any simple thing would set off her rage she would smash things and you could not calm her very easy. But all the training and finding the photography changed everything , But now it is all slipping back to how she was as she feels she has had everything taken from her.

• some martial arts training?

I did something like that, I added 5 stones to my weight and not in fat, I was 8 stones when I was 18 years old, easily pushed around, literaly

• This is truly shocking, James, but not surprising. You have my sympathy. Our entire culture, sadly, is built on bullying. As I said, it pervades every aspect of our society, and every walk of life. Until humans learn to love themselves, they will continue to project their self-loathing outwards to anyone they perceive as weaker. I do recommend martial arts. Learning how to defend and attack can sometimes be enough to remove you from the lists of many bullies. Perhaps moving forward, your daughter might benefit from some martial arts training? It has many health benefits too.

• She was in photography and the group pushed her around in the dark room when in a lesson. They also all started to abuse her on the chat groups but deleted stuff as soon as read it was seen by two others but they were ignored and they said there was no evidence of her being bullied and if she was it was her own fault for posting a meme that she did without thinking as this is how she is. And the girl involved thinks she is a big istagram star and has thousands of followers which she turned on my daughter because she said saying sorry and deleting the meme was not enough and she was going to make her suffer.

• Horrible, so do not let her give up.

and scenario very much like my last 2 years in a previous job that was before I was tested

• Hello James

This makes for quite disturbing reading. There is nothing more vile for me than bullying in all its forms. Sadly, it is virus that infects every walk of life, every company, every institution, and every organisation. 

She has now been thrown out of college which was the only thing she had in her life that kept her calm.

There are some bits of the story that puzzle me, however. When (and where) did people in the chat group assault your daughter? How did it escalate from posting a meme to being the target of a hate campaign? And how did asking for help from staff lead to her being expelled from college? 

• Thanks Martin Things are tough right now , I am disabled myself and have many problems, This college was her whole life as it was hard trying to find something that could keep her attention that she liked and this was the thing that she was good at. Photography was everything to her and now she has had it taken away and it has set her back years now.

• Sounds like clear case of discrimination on grounds of disability. If you can afford it I would talk to a solicitor and have them send a letter to the principal. alternatively, Citizens Advice might be helpful, also have a look here: https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-school/disability-discrimination - I would presume that 'school' may also cover 6th form colleges and the like.