Anxiety and obsessions

I go through a lot of intense anxiety, as well as depression, and generally I'll be worrying to death about things I know I don't need to worry about it, or which I should put aside for now and deal with later. People have always told me I should be able to do this - choose to worry about something later, or dismiss worries from my mind - but this seems utterly impossible to me. 

Is this part of the obsessive way an autistic mind works? I know I obsess over mundane things too which don't cause me anxiety but which I feel compelled to do, and also I get pleasure from obsessing over certain interests. Do we just have to accept this worry as part of the obsessiveness?

Parents
  • The problem with obsession is that it's always there, you cannot turn it "Off" or simply decided to do something else, or think of something else. Intense anxiety and depression are, I think, part of that-you get obsessed by whatever is most on your mind, good or bad, then cannot let go. People with Aspergers and Autism are more susceptible to depression and anxiety, I don't believe that that's in question. The question is how do we deal with it, to live a "normal" life... Can we? I think it's just a part of who all of us are...?

• The problem with obsession is that it's always there, you cannot turn it "Off" or simply decided to do something else, or think of something else. Intense anxiety and depression are, I think, part of that-you get obsessed by whatever is most on your mind, good or bad, then cannot let go. People with Aspergers and Autism are more susceptible to depression and anxiety, I don't believe that that's in question. The question is how do we deal with it, to live a "normal" life... Can we? I think it's just a part of who all of us are...?

Children
No Data