Depression?

I’ve got some questions, maybe someone’s got the answers.

I’ve tried to improve my mood. First by taking st.john’s wort and when it didn’t work I tried 5-htp. It didn’t work. Maybe the dose was too low, maybe I should double/triple it. 

I have generally low mood (but some days better, some days worse) and I have an anxiety. Anxiety is ruining my life.

It’s not a new issue and I’ve tried CBT and counselling which didn’t help. 

NHS CBT was completely useless.

Recently I’ve talked to someone about suicide and they said that it would be worth if I talk to GP and take some medication. 

But I’m not sure. 

I’m not at imminent risk. I know I might kill myself in the future but I’m not going to do it yet. It’s just an option if the life is too much. 

I’ve chosen the method and the thought is comforting. 

The thought that I’ve got the way out and that I’m prepared.

But I’m not going to kill myself yet. 

I have small children and I’m not going to cause trauma to my children. They are not ready to deal with that.

I’ve been having recurring suicidal thoughts for years.

I’ve never mentioned them in therapy because I didn’t want to make a big deal out of it and I was afraid how they might react.

And now to my questions.

Should I go to GP? 

Will they tell anyone? 

Are they going to make a big deal out of it? 

Or maybe ignore me? 

Maybe it’s not worth mentioning at all? 

Will I be sent to CBT again? 

Offered medication? 

Can I choose medication or therapy? 

What about side effects of medication?

I’m worried about side effects.

Parents
  • I've absolutely been there. Got my exit kit together years ago, but now for the first time in my life I find I don't think I'll ever need it...

You've probably realised you are really very much on your own in this, whatever anyone else tells you, but the good news is that with the right information and procedures you can get past this. I did really quickly once I found all the tools that I needed.  

I've used illegal medication for 42 years to mitigate the most socially unacceptable parts of my being, and chiefly because the main side effect has been to dull my rage to manageable levels. Didn't stop me wanting to kill myself, did stop me wanting to kill others, so very good stuff, that cannabis in my estimation, although it is savagely habit forming as is anything that markedly improves the perceived quality of your life. I tried Prozac, but it did NOT work at the pace or in the way that I was told it would, so against advice, after I did a bad thing that upset a great deal of people I decided not to try dangerous misdescribed drugs from my family doctor, and stuck with the safe but illegal stuff form my dealer who always knows exactly what a strain is likely to do to a person...

However, I can't help feeling that whilst there MAY be better more Autie compatible meds available than my pot, it's only treating the symptoms like an oncologist "treats" your cancer. (Rick Simpson Oil WORKS for that condition, but that's another thread I guess...) what you need is the cure for your unhappiness that I got.

For me, and I hope this helps, it was the realisation that far from being a failure or at best near success in life, I did it all effectively with one hand tied behind my back!!

I also understood at last that bemused look the normies get right before they start giving me ***, and I can sympathise with their "struggle to understand" because I feel it myself. I can see how easily bowled over they are by someone "moving their cheese" and we don't suffer that anywhere like as much except in very specific situations, no wonder they are so grumpy!

This is far from the panacea I rather hoped I'd be able to put down, but I hope you can understand that it IS possible to be a happy little aspie a LOT more of the time than would otherwise be possible, simply by finding your power, rather than focussing on the many issues we all have. 

Normie society is set up to make the likes of us fail, usually at our own hand. It doesn't have to be that way, even the normies are starting to figure out that it is wrong what happens to us. 6

OH, and since quantum physics currently only works if there are about 11 dimensions, according to the maths, and those dimensions are real but not available to us, that leaves a hell of a lot of space for an after life. (Possibly, heaven and hell, the whole works, or something even more challenging) It struck me that bailing out of this life because it's consistently kicking my *** perhaps would NOT be the best way to enter the next one. That horrifying hypothesis means I could not be QUITE CERTAIN that death would be the long dreamless sleep I was so desperate for, and in fact if my luck was anything to go by FAR WORSE, I decided tto try my best to beat this life into submission before leaving it, just to cover my back.. 

The gifts that come with Asperger's have actually allowed me to live a life some normies seem to envy, and it's a pity that for the first 59 years of my life I was so distracted by the struggle of trying to understand the seemingly inexplicable consequences of living with an unknown condition, and so consumed with depression due to the constant failures to be "as good as any one else", that I didn't really enjoy much of it as much as I should have, 

IN medieval times I rather fancy, we Aspergers types would have been the hermit or witch at the edge of town. Alternately persecuted or consulted by the villagers, of course. There's a very good reason cats are associated with such people. My last one helped me in so many ways and the one who noow shares my life, has taught me some different thiings. They are always honest (although this one has an actual sense of humour, adn has been known to play tricks on his unsuspecting humans) Definitely have interesting little minds that feel an express a range of straightforwards emotions, and they are as discerning as any Autist! I grieved more foor my last cat than I have for any human being, but that's because frankly he treated me fairer, and loved me more fully than any human being has... 

• I've absolutely been there. Got my exit kit together years ago, but now for the first time in my life I find I don't think I'll ever need it...

You've probably realised you are really very much on your own in this, whatever anyone else tells you, but the good news is that with the right information and procedures you can get past this. I did really quickly once I found all the tools that I needed.  

I've used illegal medication for 42 years to mitigate the most socially unacceptable parts of my being, and chiefly because the main side effect has been to dull my rage to manageable levels. Didn't stop me wanting to kill myself, did stop me wanting to kill others, so very good stuff, that cannabis in my estimation, although it is savagely habit forming as is anything that markedly improves the perceived quality of your life. I tried Prozac, but it did NOT work at the pace or in the way that I was told it would, so against advice, after I did a bad thing that upset a great deal of people I decided not to try dangerous misdescribed drugs from my family doctor, and stuck with the safe but illegal stuff form my dealer who always knows exactly what a strain is likely to do to a person...

However, I can't help feeling that whilst there MAY be better more Autie compatible meds available than my pot, it's only treating the symptoms like an oncologist "treats" your cancer. (Rick Simpson Oil WORKS for that condition, but that's another thread I guess...) what you need is the cure for your unhappiness that I got.

For me, and I hope this helps, it was the realisation that far from being a failure or at best near success in life, I did it all effectively with one hand tied behind my back!!

I also understood at last that bemused look the normies get right before they start giving me ***, and I can sympathise with their "struggle to understand" because I feel it myself. I can see how easily bowled over they are by someone "moving their cheese" and we don't suffer that anywhere like as much except in very specific situations, no wonder they are so grumpy!

This is far from the panacea I rather hoped I'd be able to put down, but I hope you can understand that it IS possible to be a happy little aspie a LOT more of the time than would otherwise be possible, simply by finding your power, rather than focussing on the many issues we all have. 

Normie society is set up to make the likes of us fail, usually at our own hand. It doesn't have to be that way, even the normies are starting to figure out that it is wrong what happens to us. 6

OH, and since quantum physics currently only works if there are about 11 dimensions, according to the maths, and those dimensions are real but not available to us, that leaves a hell of a lot of space for an after life. (Possibly, heaven and hell, the whole works, or something even more challenging) It struck me that bailing out of this life because it's consistently kicking my *** perhaps would NOT be the best way to enter the next one. That horrifying hypothesis means I could not be QUITE CERTAIN that death would be the long dreamless sleep I was so desperate for, and in fact if my luck was anything to go by FAR WORSE, I decided tto try my best to beat this life into submission before leaving it, just to cover my back.. 

The gifts that come with Asperger's have actually allowed me to live a life some normies seem to envy, and it's a pity that for the first 59 years of my life I was so distracted by the struggle of trying to understand the seemingly inexplicable consequences of living with an unknown condition, and so consumed with depression due to the constant failures to be "as good as any one else", that I didn't really enjoy much of it as much as I should have, 

IN medieval times I rather fancy, we Aspergers types would have been the hermit or witch at the edge of town. Alternately persecuted or consulted by the villagers, of course. There's a very good reason cats are associated with such people. My last one helped me in so many ways and the one who noow shares my life, has taught me some different thiings. They are always honest (although this one has an actual sense of humour, adn has been known to play tricks on his unsuspecting humans) Definitely have interesting little minds that feel an express a range of straightforwards emotions, and they are as discerning as any Autist! I grieved more foor my last cat than I have for any human being, but that's because frankly he treated me fairer, and loved me more fully than any human being has... 

Children
No Data