Self harming and suicide thoughts

Help needed pls

My 17 year old admitted he was self harming to us on Thursday after he posted on social media to friends he was going to take his own life.

He was diagnosed with higher funtioning autism and non verbal tourettes when he was 11 and have had many issues with his autism but never anything like this.

As he is very reserved and quiet unfortunatly we didn't pick up on anything different, we went to g.p Thurs and they sent us to deal with crisis team in hospital the same day.

We sat in a and e and eventually got a psychiatrist to see him 6 hours later.  They said that he is not clinically depressed and should go home and they would be in contact.

Through us chasing them we have had 2 calls at home and they have booked a home visit for this weds, but that's 6 days since he said he needed help!

Were unsure how to deal with this, is it something we should have watched for with his autism and him struggling to cope with emotions.

Any parents out there who have had the same unfortunate experience who can tell me what happens next? 

Feel like we are wrapping him in cotton wool atm but can' risk not doing that.

Any suggestions or experiences or advice welcome as feel like we dont know what to do Pensive

Parents
  • Hi,

I am autistic and have been suicidal.  I'm now researching the care of the suicidal autistic adult.  However, autistic people don't necessarily go through depression before feeling suicidal.  I know it is complicated but this article by Sarah Cassidy and others http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(14)70248-2/fulltext explains to medics, and others, that only 35% of people were depressed whereas 66% had suicidal thoughts.  Print it out and show it to your son's medical carer.

In the mean time, take him seriously and keep an eye out for harmful things.  Don't be afraid to talk about it, but also don't let it be your only conversation.  As to what happens next - I had one week in hospital - but that was awful.  It wasn't set up for autistic people and made me worse.  Rather than keeping me in my husband was asked to take me home. 9 years later I can talk about it quite freely.  I still get suicidal urges whilst walking over bridges etc. But I know that I  want to live, and I'll fight all suicidal thoughts, but it is hard.

Take care of yourself,

Margaret

• Hi,

I am autistic and have been suicidal.  I'm now researching the care of the suicidal autistic adult.  However, autistic people don't necessarily go through depression before feeling suicidal.  I know it is complicated but this article by Sarah Cassidy and others http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(14)70248-2/fulltext explains to medics, and others, that only 35% of people were depressed whereas 66% had suicidal thoughts.  Print it out and show it to your son's medical carer.

In the mean time, take him seriously and keep an eye out for harmful things.  Don't be afraid to talk about it, but also don't let it be your only conversation.  As to what happens next - I had one week in hospital - but that was awful.  It wasn't set up for autistic people and made me worse.  Rather than keeping me in my husband was asked to take me home. 9 years later I can talk about it quite freely.  I still get suicidal urges whilst walking over bridges etc. But I know that I  want to live, and I'll fight all suicidal thoughts, but it is hard.

Take care of yourself,

Margaret

Children
No Data