Hello

I have not been posting on the NAS forum since the new layout. I find change difficult and actually way preferred the previous lay out (does anyone here agree??).

Anyhow, thought I'd introduce myself because have not posted for such a long time.

I have a diagnosis of Asperger's but call  myself autistic (under the new criteria, it'a all the same anyway). I am 30 years old and was diagnosed back in 2009, on the NHS, when I was 21, after receiving CBT for OCD that had not worked, and because I had long standing problems that had not been adequately explained: a history of being a loner, minimal and failed friendships, obsessive behaviour (interests and other), problems around needing to be in control and knowing what to expect, etc. I am beginning to become more aware also of how severely I am affected by noise, which affects my concentration and makes me feel very stressed.

I also have colour grapheme synaesthesia, but took my perceptions for granted until recently as assumed everyone saw as I did.

I enjoy reading complicated philosophy and psychology books, books about autism and nutrition, and I like cooking and food (a major interest area). I also enjoy raising awareness of autism via public speaking and writing blogs when I have the time.

I cannot work and am on benefits. Never been in a relationship. My co-existing OCD adds another layer of disability, and I have a very uneven skills profile, being proficient in some areas (words and reading, mainly), but struggle with organisation, overload, keeping things tidy, multitasking, etc.

Parents
  • Don't know how to use the edit function (?). Forgot to mention that I have achieved a 2:1 Honours Degree in History (two points below a first), earned age 21, and went to my local Uni - I stayed at home as could not handle halls. I achieved my degree on my own with no support (before diagnosis), but it helped that I was at home and everything else was catered for by my mum: cooking, organisation, etc. I can't multi-task, and never went out while I studied, it was one hundred per cent effort, no rest. All work, no play, but it payed off. I really struggled with school work and my parents helped me with all my work until I got to A level when they increasingly stepped back. Unfortunately I can't put my degree into practice (the  uneven skills problem), but University opened my eyes to philosophy and academic understanding. Around diagnosis, autism became a special interest for a time (it still is actually), then psychology, but now it's more philosophy and nutrition. I've been interested in food all my life. Kate Winslet, Titanic, and babies were major obsessions as a pre teen and teenager. One led to  the other!

• Hello Hope nice to meet you, I am a bit of an interloper, I have no diagnosis but proud to be autistic,some see it as a negative,in my view it answered many issues I have had all my life.it gave me great relief that I wasn't on my own.

I now enjoy being here with similar minded folks,I am not very well educated but I am honest,hard working and a caring sole.I do not apologise for being average as for me that is a big achievement.

I read your response about verbal ability,it seemed to stick in my mind? I have always been seen as "posh" and mocked for being well spoken! I grew up on a typical council estate,scruffy little urchin,hand me down clothes,late learning with spelling and handwriting,passed no exams,

The idea I am posh amuses me,I like using words and still one work colleague says" so what's the made up word for today?" His way of mocking my use of "complicated" words.

Anyway I can see straight away I am going to enjoy talking to you.

take care and enjoy the new layout, I hate it but only joined recently.

• Hello Hope nice to meet you, I am a bit of an interloper, I have no diagnosis but proud to be autistic,some see it as a negative,in my view it answered many issues I have had all my life.it gave me great relief that I wasn't on my own.

I now enjoy being here with similar minded folks,I am not very well educated but I am honest,hard working and a caring sole.I do not apologise for being average as for me that is a big achievement.

I read your response about verbal ability,it seemed to stick in my mind? I have always been seen as "posh" and mocked for being well spoken! I grew up on a typical council estate,scruffy little urchin,hand me down clothes,late learning with spelling and handwriting,passed no exams,

The idea I am posh amuses me,I like using words and still one work colleague says" so what's the made up word for today?" His way of mocking my use of "complicated" words.

Anyway I can see straight away I am going to enjoy talking to you.

take care and enjoy the new layout, I hate it but only joined recently.

Children
  • Forgot to say,to attempt to fit in I can cuss like my fellow workers,it's remembering to switch back to myself that causes issues at home,my wife says "who have you been working with today? They have a dirty mouth"

ooohps.