Potential mummy of an autistic child

Hi, two things really. My 6 year old is showing signs of autistic traits, probably aspergers as he has no developmental delays, and his school are writing a referral letter for the GP. However our family aren't convinced; dad believes it's just a phase and he's just quirky and grandad thinks feels he shouldn't be labelled. I'll be honest and say I've considered this for the past year or so and have really swung both ways on the whole thing. I decided to talk to school after I noticed he had started a verbal tic which is now quite noticeable and he cried at the school drop off over people telling him to stop. I'm still not sure! He's always been different to his sister but I put it down to him being a boy, and gentler and more sensitive than other boys but I figured that's just normal. He's playful, talkative, seems bright and tries hard with friends. I really don't know!

Add to that my sister was diagnosed with lower functioning autism 15 years ago and I am now considering whether to get a referral for myself but might just be a hypochondriac and at 36 it seems a bit pointless! His dad is worse than I am. I just feel like we're all together because we're a bit broken! Only my daughter appears "normal".

Am I going mad or is it really possible the whole family is on the spectrum and is there any point in exploring me and dad or should I forget that and concentrate solely on our son?

Long but anyway, hello!

Parents
  • Hi Affascinante, not sure about the grownups, but with a child I'd think there isn't much to lose really in having him tested. If that comes out negative then that's good, but if he does get diagnosed then he can at least get some support. Not getting this when it's needed is probably worse than being labelled, they won't stick that label on his forehead anyway. Autism does seem to run in families, so that's not impossible. Reading about it may also make you aware of traits in people (yourself and others) you would not have spotted before. Learning more about him you may also learn a thing or two about yourself and his dad, even without either of the two of you being assessed.

• Hi Affascinante, not sure about the grownups, but with a child I'd think there isn't much to lose really in having him tested. If that comes out negative then that's good, but if he does get diagnosed then he can at least get some support. Not getting this when it's needed is probably worse than being labelled, they won't stick that label on his forehead anyway. Autism does seem to run in families, so that's not impossible. Reading about it may also make you aware of traits in people (yourself and others) you would not have spotted before. Learning more about him you may also learn a thing or two about yourself and his dad, even without either of the two of you being assessed.

Children
No Data