Hello people who care about Autism

I work as a volunteer in a Residential Home that is permanent or semi permanent residence to 6 people who have fairly severe Autism problems.

I have a lovely wife Tricia and a son and daughter, a dog called Poppy who is a nightmare and now live in East Yorkshire [Humberside]

I am 64 years old and really enjoy working with all the residents at the home. My title is 'Befriender' so my 'job' is t take them out from the home in my car and visit places that they have a particular interest in. I really love my job.

In the past, I was an engineer for BT working on Telephone Exchanges so a bit of a 'techie', made redundant I then worked for Thames Water in their Water Quality Laboratory but unfortunately the IRA blew the lab up and I left to join an Internet Company where I got heavily involved in training. When Demon Internet was sold on I became a Tutor in an FE college training school leavers in Electrical and Electronic work, when my health failed a bit I joined LightSpeed IT solutions in Maldon Essex as a training coordinator as a very part time employee. In 2012 I retired as could not cope with the work situation at all.

So, apart from being on the receiving end of the care system, I did not have any qualification for my volunteer job that I do now.

BUT I am working on it. I have now completed a level2 course in Counselling and working on a level 2 Understanding Autism as well as doing a Continual Professional Development course on Alzheimer's disease.

I should have L plates fitted on my front and back :-)

Anyway, for what it is worth, that is me.

Parents
  • Hello there Palbus. You do sound like a very successful person indeed. No need for L plates you seem to have it cracked mate.

I did two courses in counselling about 15 years ago before I realised I was suffering from emotional deprivation and ASC. I really struggled with the core principles of empathy, congruence, and unconditional love. It is only recently I have had this pointed out to me.

This example conveys exactly where I failed. In a lecture on psychology the lecturer was describing counselling psychology and the core principles and I put forward the comparison between that and prostitution in that both offer "love for money". That went down like a lead balloon with the mostly female members of the course. Love was never a concept I understood during my upbringing and I confused that with sex most of my life until recently. I am sure you would not make the same dreadful mistake. :) I am still embarrassed about it.

Your contributions on here will be welcome as you progress through the Understanding Autism course. I look forward to reading more from you. Take care and good luck with your courses, I am sure you will pass with flying colours,  Laddie

• Laddie49 Thank you for your greeting it is most appreciated. The courses are Government sponsored and the Education system does tend to push and rush me a lot. They are always nagging for assessment question answers :-(

I am trying to keep up though... honest :-)

My big hang up is confidence, I can get really anxious sometimes, still, I am finding what I am doing very worthwhile now so I will put up with those feelings as it is worth it.

Take Care Buddy!

• Laddie49 Thank you for your greeting it is most appreciated. The courses are Government sponsored and the Education system does tend to push and rush me a lot. They are always nagging for assessment question answers :-(

I am trying to keep up though... honest :-)

My big hang up is confidence, I can get really anxious sometimes, still, I am finding what I am doing very worthwhile now so I will put up with those feelings as it is worth it.

Take Care Buddy!

Children
No Data