Hello people who care about Autism

I work as a volunteer in a Residential Home that is permanent or semi permanent residence to 6 people who have fairly severe Autism problems.

I have a lovely wife Tricia and a son and daughter, a dog called Poppy who is a nightmare and now live in East Yorkshire [Humberside]

I am 64 years old and really enjoy working with all the residents at the home. My title is 'Befriender' so my 'job' is t take them out from the home in my car and visit places that they have a particular interest in. I really love my job.

In the past, I was an engineer for BT working on Telephone Exchanges so a bit of a 'techie', made redundant I then worked for Thames Water in their Water Quality Laboratory but unfortunately the IRA blew the lab up and I left to join an Internet Company where I got heavily involved in training. When Demon Internet was sold on I became a Tutor in an FE college training school leavers in Electrical and Electronic work, when my health failed a bit I joined LightSpeed IT solutions in Maldon Essex as a training coordinator as a very part time employee. In 2012 I retired as could not cope with the work situation at all.

So, apart from being on the receiving end of the care system, I did not have any qualification for my volunteer job that I do now.

BUT I am working on it. I have now completed a level2 course in Counselling and working on a level 2 Understanding Autism as well as doing a Continual Professional Development course on Alzheimer's disease.

I should have L plates fitted on my front and back :-)

Anyway, for what it is worth, that is me.

Parents
  • Hi Palbus,

That is a great story! It sounds like you have an amazing job, which gives huge benefits to people who need it! You have aso had an interesting and varied life, and its great to see someone giving back their own volunteered time to help others!

Thanks for telling your story and brightening up my day!

• Thank you for your reply, Daniel, it is nice to know there are some people out there who read the posts.

It is an amazing job I have and I am very fortunate to be working [even as a voolunteer] at this great home where they do things properly. There seems to be a lot of staff considering we do not have that many 'guests'. Hope to talk with you again sometime. The courses are taking up a lot of time so be patient with replies.

• Thank you for your reply, Daniel, it is nice to know there are some people out there who read the posts.

It is an amazing job I have and I am very fortunate to be working [even as a voolunteer] at this great home where they do things properly. There seems to be a lot of staff considering we do not have that many 'guests'. Hope to talk with you again sometime. The courses are taking up a lot of time so be patient with replies.

Children
No Data