ASD assessment

Hi, my son who is 12 has been on the autism waiting list for 20 months. I attended the first part of the assessment yesterday which took about 2 and a half hours and was pages of questions based on my son's development from birth. It was very difficult to remember so far back and I found that the clinician dismissed some of my concerns for example sensory issues with sounds- hearing very quiet noises that I can't hear, he said this was normal up until the age of 16. Also my son walks on his toes and he said this could mean a number of things doesn't mean he is autistic. My son is very rigid with foods he eats and routines and he said this could be due to his anxiety. Also said some of his traits could be linked to his  tourettes. Clinician said he was reluctant to give a diagnosis and didn't like to put labels on people if it wasn't going to benefit him. My son goes for his ados assessment on Tuesday and I will get the results of both assesments then. I am w I am worried I will be told he only has traits of autism and not get the help that he needs. Anyone else had the same experience

Parents
  • Hi NAS23874

We have a son who has just been diagnosed (though he is 4 years old, but where we live the same department who diagnosed him also handles all people under 18)

I had asked before the diagnosis about support and help if no diagnosis was given. The doctor was very good and said that regardless of the outcome, we would be given access to relevant support.

After the diagnosis we were then given multiple opportunities for things like speech development, occupational therapy, as well as being invited to a parents class where we met other parents, some of whom had not received a diagnosis, but who's children did encompass many traits.

As Jordee says, its very dependant on where you live as to the service quality. One thing I do know is a common story is that you have to push and pester to make progress. It doesnt make you an awkward person, just a concerned parent. There are many times when oppprtunities have presented themselves after the 2nd, 3rd and 4th times of asking and pushing.

And if your area's services do not give you information on all the local services, there will be many people in the forum who can help point the way, and listen to any worries you have!

• Hi NAS23874

We have a son who has just been diagnosed (though he is 4 years old, but where we live the same department who diagnosed him also handles all people under 18)

I had asked before the diagnosis about support and help if no diagnosis was given. The doctor was very good and said that regardless of the outcome, we would be given access to relevant support.

After the diagnosis we were then given multiple opportunities for things like speech development, occupational therapy, as well as being invited to a parents class where we met other parents, some of whom had not received a diagnosis, but who's children did encompass many traits.

As Jordee says, its very dependant on where you live as to the service quality. One thing I do know is a common story is that you have to push and pester to make progress. It doesnt make you an awkward person, just a concerned parent. There are many times when oppprtunities have presented themselves after the 2nd, 3rd and 4th times of asking and pushing.

And if your area's services do not give you information on all the local services, there will be many people in the forum who can help point the way, and listen to any worries you have!

Children
No Data